Saxophone Forum

by istan
(15 posts)
19 years ago

a Selmer series III neck for a Selmer ref '54 tenor ?

I own a ref '54 tenor and I find the sound too focused and dull, especially in comparison to an old Conn made in 1923, which, unfortunately, got intonation problems. Does anyone have any idea or experience about substituting the ref 54 neck with one of Selmer series III? I heard that it adds in brightness and projection, which I need playing in a rock/blues band.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: a Selmer series III neck for a Selmer ref '54 tenor ?

A neck change won't do any good if your mouthpiece isn't suitable for your application. I played a Ref 54 with my Otto Link New York 7 and it sounded nice. I think that you should hold off on the neck replacement until you try at least one other mouthpiece. A 7 mouthpiece will cut though your band without sounding tinny. Don't mess with your horn too much. That's like putting hot rod pick ups on a Les Paul or Stratocaster guitar. You will the character of the instrument. Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

19 years ago

You sacrifice the character of the instrument. Sorry for the typo!!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by istan
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I use a metal Otto link #8* which I think is ok according to your post. May be my problem, after all, or a bad choice for the music I play (eg with loud amplified electric guitars)!

Reply To Post