Saxophone Forum

by rob07
(38 posts)
19 years ago

jazz setup

If money wasn't and issue, what setup would you use for an alto sax in a jazz band.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: jazz setup

Conn 6M, Otto Link Tone Edge 6* mouthpiece, Rovner Eddie Daniels ligature, Rico Jazz Select or Alexander # 2 1/2 reed.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

19 years ago

Ditto that! ConnsaxcatJim advises you well. My setup is almost the same except for a little bigger tip opening on the mouthpiece. To say that's a matter of taste would be a bad pun.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I suppose if I only played alto, I would probably go for a more open facing also, but I play mostly tenor, and with my "mostly tenor" emboucher, it's easier for me to play a more moderate facing. And soprano....well, I need all the help I can get with soprano intonation!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

I would play a King Super 20 with vintage fluted-chamber rubber Dukoff or Gregory Los Angeles 5A-18, Consoli Ramplig Dark ligature, and Alexander D.C. Reeds, size 3.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

19 years ago

I use a Mark VI, Meyer New York # 5, Meyer metal 6, and a Richie Cole 5 which is based on the old New York. Usually I use a Van Doren reed. La Voz reeds are just fine too. Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

19 years ago

I use the Van Doren traditional 2 1/2 or 3. I know that I have said this repeatedly, but Van Doren reeds are either great or junk. If you are not at liberty to hand pick them, you will get about 3 good ones in a box. Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by rob07
            (38 posts)

19 years ago

Thankx for all the replies

Reply To Post