Saxophone Forum

by Paduano
(16 posts)
19 years ago

Alto Sax mouthpieces

I play a Yahmaha YAS 52 alto sax. I currently use a Meyer 5 for jazz and a Selmer C* for concert band. I'm looking for a mouthpiece that I can use for both classical and jazz, a mello, smooth sound and affordable (preferably under $100) If you can give me a list of mouthpieces that I can check out, that would be great!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Alto Sax mouthpieces

Try a Rico Royal Graftonite. Comes in 3 tip openings and 3 chamber sizes. I use a B7 and it gives a good all-around sound with good response and intonation. The best part is the price- $15-20 or so. Talk about a cheap thrill!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Definately a Rico Royal Graftonite. They're one of the best mouthpieces I have tried believe it or not, and they are cheap!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

19 years ago

I would also add (if you can find one) a Couf Artist series. It's a piece that could work for both...perhaps a larger Vandoren might do the trick as well. If money is no object, a vintage Brilhart would be sweet

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Vintage Brillharts are great, unfortunately they are very hard to get ahold of. The newer Brilharts are not the same. Another great piece for alto is an Otto Link Tone Edge; great piece for vintage American horns!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Paduano
        (16 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you for your imput. I'll check them out and see what works best.

Reply To Post

1. by Zheng
          (23 posts)

19 years ago

Hi. Jon

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxmannwmsu
            (48 posts)

19 years ago

People use C*s for jazz pieces all the time. However, I'd advise against using the same piece for both. Your current setup sounds like a winner. If you go to just one mouthpiece, you'll be sacrificing in one area or the other. -Wade

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Paduano
          (16 posts)

19 years ago

Could I use a Rico Royal Graftonite to replace my Meyer5 then? The deal with the Meyer is that I originally bought it used at a dealer. For the past few months, I've been getting little chips of plastic in my mouth. I don't use a protective cover on it so its not that. I should have but not enough time to go out and get one. Anyways, what do you think about the switch?

Reply To Post

1. by saxmannwmsu
            (48 posts)

19 years ago

If it's the Jazz piece that's giving you trouble, look into a Claude Lakey. They're REALLY good mouthpieces, and run around $60 tops. I've used a Lakey 5*3 on my alto since high school and wouldn't trade it for the world! -Wade

Reply To Post AIM

1. by blackfrancis
              (396 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Wade, how old is that Lakey? I had a '70s one that was great and it disappeared on me. I bought a new one recently and it's NOT the same design. High baffle, teeny chamber. Sounded OK on my Selmer (a bit thin and edgy) but a disaster on my Conn! Had to do serious surgery. Still, if you can find an older one (by Claude himself) they're sweet.

Reply To Post

2. by Java5608
            (8 posts)

19 years ago

I'm pretty sure there is a reason for the Graftonite being about $20, its true many people have varying tastes and preferences but i still preach the Meyer. The plastic chips in your mouth are a prolem i've never heard of, take a good look in the mouthpiece for chips or cracks especially around the rails at the front and look if your neck is scraping the inside of the troat of your mouth piece. If there is wear in these areas it could distort your sound later on if it isn't allready, in which case you need to buy a new one. There really is no perfect mouthpiece, not one that is great for every style. As my father says "everything about the sax is a compromise." Tone vs. control. Light vs. dark. Edge vs. warmth. Figure out what you want before you go buying some hundred dollar mouth piece, test as many as you can, and go on some "spiritual saxophone tone jorney." Find out the kind of sound you want, you can't have it all. Except maybe Jesus has a mouthpiece that can do it all.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

"I'm pretty sure there is a reason for the Graftonite being about $20" Sure there is. It's probably due to lower material and manufacturing cost. They don't have to be expensive to be good. I own several Rico Royal Graftonite pieces for alto, tenor, and baritone and they are GREAT mouthpieces. Meyers are also great pieces. I own a few of them also. I use a Meyer on my soprano which I really like. I tried several soprano pieces and the Meyer was definately the best for me. But, don't underestimate these pieces just because they are cheap! They have a nice, punchy, throaty sound. I use a Rico on my tenor most of the time, and it sounds really good!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Java5608
                (8 posts)

19 years ago

Allright man, for $15 i guess i can afford to check it out. I just had a bad predisposition twards them partially because of the price, your right that cost is almost nothing to judge by but when its only $15 i was a little suspicious. Also i don't like rico or rico royal reeds, so that carried over in my distrust of the mouthpiece. But I must admit i haven't played one which is what you really should use to judge a mouthpiece, ligature, sax, or whatever.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by saxmannwmsu
                (48 posts)

19 years ago

blackfrancis, The Lakey I have is about...5 years old I'd say. I didn't know they'd changed the design on them! I might have to search out one of these "vintage Lakeys" now...they sound good! At first, it played kinda thin on my horn. Then I did some reed/lig switching and found that a 3S Rico Jazz Select and a Rovner Dark darken it a bit. It kinda takes some of the lead edge away from the sound, but it's better for combo with that setup. -Wade

Reply To Post AIM