Saxophone Forum

by chickenisgood
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Looking for a New Mouthpiece

Hello. I'm going into 9th grade and I play a Cannonball Big Bell Tenor Sax. I'm very good for my age and am always lead tenor in jazz band and concert band and I have won a few solo awards from jazz band. I've been using the crappy rubber mouthpiece that came with the sax since I started in 5th grade, and after reading some other topics I know it's time to upgrade. I play mostly jazz, but some classical too, I use Vandoren Java or V16 reeds. Any suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chickenisgood
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Looking for a New Mouthpiece

Also, any suggestions on a better ligature than the one that came with the sax?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I like Rovner ligatures. I use them with all of my hard rubber mouthpieces, and even a couple metal pieces. There are some that are a little better perhaps; like the Olegs and the Ultimates, but they cost considerably more. On your Cannonball, I would try an Otto Link New York metal, probably a 6* facing and a # 2 1/2 reed to start with. I think you'll like it! I tried this same set up on a Cannonball Raven tenor and I was very impressed. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by chickenisgood
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

130 bucks for a mouthpiece? Ouch.

Reply To Post

1. by chickenisgood
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Any other suggestions? I'd be willing to pay the 130 if it would really help my sound.

Reply To Post

2. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

well, you have a $2000 horn. Don't you think it deserves a good mouthpiece? If you look at the price ranges of decent mouthpieces that's about what they run. If you are also wanting do use the piece for concert band work a hard rubber Link might also work. They also cost a bit less.

Reply To Post

3. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

Try a meyer hard rubber mpc. On my alto I use a Meyer 5 facing, rico select jazz reeds (3 med), and a BG France Super Revelation Lig. It works great for me and I'm told it's a great sound, not to brag. But I don't know for tenor, try the same.

Reply To Post

4. by peter090
          (155 posts)

19 years ago

The suggestions made are all fine middle of the road choices. But you are going into 9th grade. I'd stay with you stock mouthpiece and spend the money on private lessons. You are most likely still developing your sound concept. Switching gear is a expensive way to experiment with your sound. As you get older and start to hang out with other musicians you will have a chance to hear and try a lot of different pieces. You will also have a much better idea of what you are looking for in your sound.

Reply To Post

5. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

I absolutely agree with lessons. I disagree with sticking with a stock piece (unless is a nice hard rubber number like the stock piece on a Yamaha Custom, I ended up tossing my C* and playing the Yamaha as my legit alto mouthpiece). A good hard rubber mouthpiece gives a young saxophonist a better concept of what the horn is supposed to sound like, meaning more overtones are present and the sound should immediately be fuller and warmer as compared to a stock plastic piece. I feel young musicians should start with a good, high quality horn(not necessarily a pro horn), decent reeds, and a high end mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

6. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

I am a BIG fan of the modern Otto Link NY pieces. A 6* with a Rico 2 1/2 plasticover is a nice combination that doesn't require monster chops to control. The 5* facing is nice, too, but doesn't have enough "lead" to it. I actually have both with an 8* on it's way (can't wait)... I happen to have played a buddy's Cannonball mpc yesterday - a 5 facing, I think. I found it to be maybe not open enough to lead with unless you're mic'ed well. But it had a nice sound to it - a little edge and well balanced. I agree that you don't want to be jacking around your embouchre by switching between mouthpieces too often. But to have one mouthpiece for concert band situations and one for lead jazz seems reasonable for a relatively new player. MOST IMPORTANTLY! Don't switch around gear too often. You have to give yourself a chance to grow into a new setup - meaning at least a month of daily use to get a feel for it.

Reply To Post