what do you guys think? i think this guy's awesome! www.chrispottermusic.com

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by phathorn
    (165 posts)

19 years ago

Re: chris potter

I really dig the stuff he's done with Steely Dan...

Reply To Post

1. by Cannon
      (23 posts)

19 years ago

I highly suggest his cd "Lift: Live at the Village Vanguard". There is one song in particular...Boogie Stop Shuffle Sax Intro...that is just amazing. It is him on tenor with no rhythm section just wailin away for minutes. Chris potter and cannonball adderley were the two guys who got me into jazz. CHECK POTTER OUT definitely. You can't beat his fluidity, lyrical ideas, or sound. In my opinion, he's the best contemporary tenor out there. He's part of the DHBB...he can't be that bad!

Reply To Post

1. by mattdude
        (74 posts)

19 years ago

i agree, i think he's about the most innovative and versitile sax player alive today. i got gratitude, traveling mercies, and sundiata. i'll have to pick up lift. thanks. to everybody else who hasn't heard him; get his music NOW!

Reply To Post

1. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Heard him on the radio today. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!

Reply To Post

2. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

19 years ago

Ditto all that, fellas. Heard him on the radio yesterday and he busted my conk! Reetious riffs in the lyrical style galore.

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

I really dig "High Noon (for Eddie Harris)" with that crazy growling around 3:30...phew. I also got Sun King (for Sonny Rollins) and that one too is kick tail!

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

He even did a song on bass clarinet...wow, cool guy!

Reply To Post

5. by mattdude
          (74 posts)

19 years ago

you're talking about body & soul i assume.. actually, i think that's bari sax. don't think a bass calrinet can go down that low. he's got amazing low end with it though.. iunno some of the upper register (second octave, not altissimo) sounds a lot like bari... but you may be right.

Reply To Post

6. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Matt, A bass clarinet does go lower than a bari...most bari's only go down to low A...bass clarinet goes down to low E.

Reply To Post

7. by mattdude
          (74 posts)

19 years ago

this is true. BUT put that into concert pitch, and that makes the bari at a c and the bass clarinet at a d ;)

Reply To Post

8. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Yes. The Bari sax is in Eb, so the low A would be a C in concert pitch. The bass clarinet is in Bb, and the low E would be a D in concert pitch. I use bass clarinet reeds on my C Melody saxophone. They're just a little smaller than tenor saxophone reeds. They work very well. On another note, I have heard Chris Potter play and he is fantastic! He has a great classic jazz sound and style. He's one of my favorite jazz artists to listen to. Alex Han should take a few lessons from Chris Potter! This guy can play jazz!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

9. by mattdude
          (74 posts)

19 years ago

han has some tone problems.. it's not bad but he needs some work. he's also not exactly original, but this has already been discussed a couple pages back and the thread turned out pretty ugly, so i don't think we should discuss it ;)

Reply To Post

10. by rob07
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

what kind of tenor does he play

Reply To Post

11. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Looks like he plays a Balanced Action or Super Balanced Action.

Reply To Post

12. by rob07
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

Hey SaxMan88, how does that la voix play?

Reply To Post

13. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Like a dream man! Check out my review @ www.geocities.com/fishman072003/classic_blue

Reply To Post

14. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

When I seen Chris play, he was playing a Conn New Wonder Series I silver plate, 1923.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

15. by rob07
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

oh ok

Reply To Post

16. by mattdude
          (74 posts)

19 years ago

i'm sure you were pretty pleased it was a conn ;)

Reply To Post

17. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Just heard an album today, "Urbie Green Quintet: Sea Jam Blues". Chris is on this, he's so awesome. They do the most insane version of Giant Steps. You guys should check it out.

Reply To Post

18. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Of course! I was a little surprised that he was playing such an antique Conn. I'm sure he probably has a few horns that he plays. He has a great sound. I really like his style. If I had to pick one modern sax player that I really look up to, it would be Chris Potter. I hope I get a chance to work with him sometime.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

19. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

man i was mad well im mad for two reasons, first off im in montreal jazz festival BUT i have to leave to get back to my camp and help one of my teachers with some thing hes doing for new music students 1.sonny rollins is playing on wednesday, I wont be here :( NOOOOOOOOO! 2. I saw the DHBB play they were great antonio hall was killin, BUT chris potter wasn't there NOOOOOOO! i was so mad because the tenor they did have mark turner was meh at best and he didnt know the songs that well and he stopped his solo early and they had to tell him to keep going, it was a low point where a VERY high point should be.

Reply To Post

20. by mattdude
          (74 posts)

19 years ago

the worst thing in the world is when you're playing a solo and you stop a chorus early.. or 4 bars early or something, especially if you have this magnificent finish and then you have to keep playing. wicked sucks :( but anyhow, the band should have gone with it and skipped ahead, rather than making the soloist look bad.

Reply To Post

21. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Another thing that sucks is when the trumpet player who is blindly improvising runs right into your solo and you start to play then realize he's still playing and you have to stop and then he stops and you're already a measure behind. That was one of my own personal experiences and I had to bring it up, sorry if it didn't quite fit in.

Reply To Post

22. by mattdude
          (74 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, people stepping on your solo is pretty shitty.. i did that once by eight bars (split the tenor sax solo in half, gave first half to trombone in groovin hard) and i fealt really stupid/bad about it.

Reply To Post

23. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Guitar players are great for that too. Every guitarist I have ever worked with thinks that they should get EVERY lead, and there was one guy in particular who used to piss me off something fierce! Since I owned the sound equipment, I was able to remedy that problem real easy. I run my keyboards through the PA, along with my sax and his guitar, only I plugged his guitar into a foot volume pedal that I had so I could turn him down or off on the mains whenever I felt like it! It worked great! He got a little upset and wanted to protest, and I told him to either deal with it or find another band! He learned to adjust!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

24. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Muahahaha...I mean, Jim, you're mean *rolls eyes*. Might have to remember that come time when I start gigging.

Reply To Post

25. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

He tried to protest by bringing in a Marshall stack with 2 4X12 cabinets. Me and the bass player just looked at him and said "Uh no, I don't think so!" He used that amp on a couple other gigs we played and when he would turn it on, it would dim the lights in the building. Fantastic guitar player though. Probably one of the best I have ever played with. He just didn't know when to fall back and SHARE LEADS!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

26. by zaxophoneman
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

Sharing leads is all Chis potter and his guitarists do. It's almost on every song. Listen to the head, chances are you will hear a guitar doubling him. It kinda gets on my nerves because when he plays alone, he sounds amazing. He has great tone, I love his style. ~Zach

Reply To Post

27. by mattdude
          (74 posts)

19 years ago

the soloist should ABSOLUTELY work with the accompanyment.

Reply To Post

28. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

This reminds me of a time when... I was jamming with the drummer just goofing around. I was on bari and I was doin some funky low work. Then he did some eighth note rolls through the set (snare and three toms) to make up a measure. Then I kept going, then he did that again, and every time he did it I stopped because a) it sounded real wrong if I kept goin and b) it's what he was doin. That was an experience that every soloist should have in their learning years and even though it was unofficial, it taught me a lot.

Reply To Post

29. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

When I first started playing, the hardest thing for me to learn was to control my playing and know when enough is enough. Sometimes, we try to impress, or we get carried away on a song that we like and we overplay. Sometimes, what we might think sounds good either doesn't fit with the pocket or rhythem section and sounds sloppy, and/or it takes away from the other instruments or vocals in the band. There's a time to whail and a time to lay back. Sometimes less actually sounds better! This was one of my biggest complaints about Alex Han. This is a mistake I see all too often with jazz. Many people take freedom of interpretation too literally. Think of music like a dog. Legit music is like a dog on a short chain with a shock collar! The dog has very little room to move around, and if the dog barks or gets off of that chain, he feels the shock collar! Jazz is like a dog in a big fenced in yard. While free to move around the yard at will, the dog should always stay in the yard! When the dog leaves the yard, he's likely to be ran over, or captured and taken to the animal shelter!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

30. by mattdude
          (74 posts)

19 years ago

hahaahahaahah that's possibly the funniest analagy i have ever heard about anything. rock on lol

Reply To Post

31. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Yea it's funny but it sure puts things into perspective!

Reply To Post

32. by mattdude
          (74 posts)

19 years ago

omfg i bought the album lift yesterday. this is a MUST MUST MUST have! holy fricken... AHH my fingers can't even play notes that fast like that. just wow.. you gotta get this album!

Reply To Post

33. by DG
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

hey, I just went to Chris Potter's website and was listening to his music. He sounds great. thanks for introducing me to this great musician. its really cool that he has free music to listen to, and you can even download two of his scores for free!! DG

Reply To Post

34. by JJ
          (22 posts)

19 years ago

Jim, Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. But why bring up Alex's name, as opposed to anyone else you may know? Stating on the forum (as opposed to e-mailing Alex directly) that he should take lessons with Chris Potter, because Chris knows how to play, isn't helping anyone. And really, is there anyone in this forum (including you) who couldn't benefit from lessons with Chris Potter? Alex would love to take lessons with Chris. For many people he's had the good fortune to meet (including a number of Jazz legends), Alex is considered a gifted young musician. And they tell him positive things to encourage his development, because they love Jazz and know that one of the keys to keeping it alive for the next generation is to encourage ALL YOUNG PLAYERS. Alex is well aware that he is still early in his development and that every player continues to evolve and develop his or her sound over their lifetime. You say in your forum profile, that you: ...have always enjoyed being a part of music and helping other musicians get their start... and you're...always happy to answer questions to help in any way I can. If you really meant that, you would contact Alex and give him your insight to becoming a better player. So far, you haven't. As I once stated before, Alex is a good kid...and very unassuming. He loves Jazz very much and always helps other players seeking advice. He's received lots of e-mails over the past few years from people (including many musicians) from all over the world and he answers them all. Most importantly, he never, ever discourages anyone, regardless of their level of skill. Check out a letter from Joe Lovano to Alex on Alex's website www.alexhan.com and go to the Press Clips page. Alex was 13, at the time he met and played with Joe, and although Alex was at a very early stage in his development, you can see that Joe wrote him this enthusiastic letter of encouragement. If anything is going to motivate and give self-confidence to an aspiring young musician, it would be this letter. And that's the point. Let's help everyone to become better players. John

Reply To Post

35. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

John, It seems you have come back with a cooler look than last time. I think the reason Alex came back into the conversations here was because the last round you had on here you seemed to get too defensive and points were had to be made. But now it seems like we're all back on the right playing field. And that's a great feeling.

Reply To Post

36. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Although Alex is cool and I respect him for his skill, this thread is about the ever so God-like Chris Potter :)

Reply To Post

37. by mattdude
          (74 posts)

19 years ago

exactly :D

Reply To Post

38. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

JJ. The reason why I mentioned Alex is that I think Alex has a lot of potential, as I said before. If I were Alex, I would pay close attention to Chris Potter, because he is amazing, and I think that Alex has the potential of being as good or better. I'm not mentioning Alex's name to belittle him, it's actually quite the opposite. And yes, I too would love to take a few lessons from Chris Potter!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

39. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

hahahah my best friend is a guitarist like that his dad is a great sax player and he played with him and he was shocked when his dad told him , uhhh you are not playing lead on these charts, comp the chords and play quieter, he was shocked, they tell him that all the time, but as we know all guitarists are born with cotton in there ears

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

19 years ago

Phathorn, what's the album called with him and Steely Dan? Or was it just a tour thing? Anyone heard this guy play Giant Steps? Amazing. Right now, my favorite two saxophonists right now I would say are Kenny Garret and Chris Potter. Has anyone heard of Lou Donaldson? I've been transcribing a lot of his stuff lately...really original. Not a cannonball copy or a Parker copy, he's really got his own unique style. His phrasing's really nice.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

what kind of lou donaldson are you transcribing? his newer stuff the funky stuff (awesome). or back in the day when he was bopping. He initially started getting big gigs when people asking him can you play like bird, and lying and saying he could

Reply To Post

2. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

I saw him with steely dan on the DVD that goes with the album "Two Against Nature" GREAT GREAT AWESOME DVD!!!

Reply To Post

3. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

YES! Is that the Giant Steps version when Chris is with Urbie Green?? I love that tune! I'm not much of a Kenny Garret man though

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

19 years ago

It's some of his newer stuff. I just got done with his take of Sweet Juice, by Horace Silver. I've been meaning to do some of his funk and hard bop type stuff, I'll have to do that next. I just like his newer stuff because it's more him. He's not playing like Bird, he's playing like himself, and the phrases and lines he comes up with you would never find in any omnibook. I would never think of them. What I like is that he thinks a lot more horizontally than vertically. Very melodical. Yeah, that's the tune Seano. He's just tears that song to shreds.

Reply To Post

4. by Broad Sword
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Yea the question was a good one. But some of the messages are very shallow in reply.Particularly the one called saxman 88.He really needs to stick to high school stuff on this forum.Its not clever to try and go above your level for the ego, as is the case here and others. We deal in pro musicians and have had dealings with Mr potter.He is an excellent professional ,a great jazz player a credit to his generation,to his Art and to his Country.

Reply To Post

1. by Broad Sword
            (4 posts)

19 years ago

Re: regarding this jj Alex?

Yes ive read all the posts past and present regarding this individual they call Alex.Hes talked about as if he is a dog that the father takes for walks and learning new tricks.Ive taken time to listen to something this young man has done.Its ok for someone his age but there many many others around the world doing the same and sometimes better.. The real problem here lies not with young Alex but this idiot jj thats trying to do some sort of bully tactics to lift the profile of the young man. You see these sort of characters in other walks of life.This guy jj has got a serious problem.It dosent work in any shere and all you do is show your self up for being a real buffoon.Leave the boy alone let him get on with him self.Its rather sad even more so in the jazz world because the jazzers will just laugh and laugh and in thirty years time when hes on the scene he will still be laughed at. So give the kid a break.

Reply To Post

1. by JJ
              (22 posts)

19 years ago

Re: regarding this jj Alex?

El Seano is right, this thread is about Chris Potter.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

19 years ago

Who is Chris Potter, and who is Alex? My curiosity is killing me. Somebody mentioned Steely Dan. I think their tunes are like everybody scrubbed for a surgery. They are so sterile and without feeling. That is just my opinion. I still want to know who Chris Potter and Alex are. Your cooperation will be appreciated.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by SaxMan88
              (318 posts)

19 years ago

Tell me Broad Sword, Of these "shallow replies" that I have made. My curiosity is eating me alive.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
                (318 posts)

19 years ago

Oh and Broad Sword, JJ is Alexs' father...so that could be why he is defending him..just a slight possibility as to why?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
                  (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Chris is fantastic! If I were Alex Han, or any young jazz saxophonist looking to make a name for myself, I would listen to this guy! I think Alex Han has a lot of potential. I do think that he has been too over-publicized for someone his age and with his level of experience. I just get the idea here that his father wants to see him famous and successful, and pushes him very hard; maybe too hard, and that concerns me. I can understand the desire for his son to be a success. He already is! He's a bright, talented young player with a lot of potential. He seems to have his goals and priorities in order, and I have no doubt but what he is an inspiration to many other young players. I find it interesting that his father is so quick to respond with criticism, but I have yet to see a post from Alex himself. I don't necessarily mean a response to this post, but maybe a few tips, opinions, etc. I am sure he has a lot to share. But, enough said. This post IS about Chris.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by jamterry
                  (573 posts)

19 years ago

Would someone please tell me who Chris Potter and Alex are? I'll be forever indebted to you!!!! Thanks :)

3. by EL Seano
                  (255 posts)

19 years ago

LoL Jamterry, You're gonna be forever indebted to me. Alex Han is a very talented young sax player, only 17, and Chris Potter is a legendary godlike Tenor/soprano player. hope that helped :-)

Reply To Post

4. by jamterry
                  (573 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks Sean!!!! I have been immersed in the alternative rock scene lately. Hey Sean have you seen Brian Wilson's band ? I saw a concet on TV and i think the woodwind player is great. He played sax, flute, bass flute, chromatic harnonica. Brian Wilson was dead wood, but the band was excellent. Take care, Terry

2. by EL Seano
                (255 posts)

19 years ago

And yeah, Broad Sword, no disrespect, but this forum is for sax players of all ages, you shouldn't be rude to Saxman88.

Reply To Post

3. by Broad Sword
                (4 posts)

19 years ago

I reply to EL Seano Ok fair comment

Reply To Post

2. by Joe Bananas
              (71 posts)

16 years ago

Does someone have seen the Chris Potter Quartet gig at the Parc Floral (Paris) with Nate Smith (Drums), Wayne Krantz (Guitar) and Craig Taborn (Keyboard)?...hey, is this guy (Potter) from planet earth?, he is simply amazing.I has the chance to meet him personally in 2005 before a gig in my city, i was ready to make him an interview that me and a friend were preparing for days and then we he was in front of me i just could say: Hey Man, thanks for your Music... Amazing Musician!

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
                (397 posts)

16 years ago

saw him at the delaware water gap jazz fest, he played on stage with Urbie Green, on bone, his son on piano and ufourtunalely Urbies wife singing she sucked, but when cris stepped up WOW even Urbie stepped back and let him wail,, yes he is amazin

Reply To Post

3. by azurealto
              (79 posts)

16 years ago

I watched him on youtube- he's amazing! he can tranition beetween notes so quickly. Great job, Chris!

Reply To Post

4. by alhadro
              (6 posts)

16 years ago

I work for ArtistShare, we run Chris's site, and also have put up a lessons project. You can hear him discuss his career, and perform a large array of standards. And best of all you can submit questions for him to answer (there are already 12 audio shows of him answering real people's questions...) You can see more here: htp://chrispotter.artistshare.com Theres also plenty of info on his set up. (silver plated, selmer super balanced action, vintage metal link, Roberto's reeds [or at least those were the reeds he was using when I was in his place last]) It probably sounds like i'm trying to herd some sales, but really i think these lessons are great, and relatively cheap!

Reply To Post