Saxophone Forum

by Lizard0331
(2 posts)
7 years ago

1942 Selmer BA TS500

I'm new to buying saxophones and was hoping someone could share their general thoughts on this tenor saxophone. It has a five digit serial number and was made in Taiwan. There is also an AK number below the serial number. No clue what this is. 

I played sax when I was a kid and loved it. I'm eagerly jumping back in. Looking forward to chatting with many of you!

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

7 years ago

Re: 1942 Selmer BA TS500

It's a recently made student saxophone that has nothing to do with a 1942 BA.  Serial number charts for the French-made Selmers don't apply to the American or Taiwanese ones.  IMO the new Selmers tend to be overpriced relative to comparable Taiwanese horns.

Reply To Post

1. by Lizard0331
      (2 posts)

7 years ago

Thank you for your response. 

I went to see it today, and was able to tell immediately that it was a newer model.  The AK number is part of the original serial number.  It was in decent shape and the price was good so I bought it.

I called Conn-Selmer and they were able to determine that it was built in 2006.  

I seemed to have gotten a really good deal on this based off of what most used TS500s are going for, so I am happy--it seems like the perfect sax to start learning again.   

Thanks again!

Chris 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

7 years ago

Glad you scored the good deal. So many inexperienced buyers end up paying too much, but your homework paid off.  With the money you saved you can take it to a repair shop to get it in top playing condition.  Having a properly regulated, leak-free horn will make your playing experience a lot more enjoyable.

Reply To Post