Saxophone Forum

by bjroosevelt
(47 posts)
7 years ago

1953 Selmer Paris fix-er-upper question

Have a question about a Selmer Paris Tenor Sax  Serial number M54XXX.  Appears that the vintage is about 1953 - Super Action.

I have been offerred to purchase this horn for a very modest price.  It has obviously been sitting in the cellar for 40 or 50 years.  The pads are falling out, half the springs don't work.  Hardened grease, lint, and fibers are all over the rods and joints.  The cork is shot, and it is quite dark.  (Don't know how dark this horn is naturally, but it is definitely has a rather brownish patina rather than bright brass-ish).  Only damage I could detect is a Dime to Nickel sized dent just below the mouthpiece connection on the body of the horn. This needs repair. 

Have been advised not to try to blow on the thing as it is likely full of mold.

Question is:  If I purchase this beast, how much should I expect to pay for a full rehab.

Note:  The Bell is embossed with the Selmer Paris logo on top and Selmer NY-Elkhart.  Is this standard for the Selmer Paris horns, or is this potentially an imposter.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

7 years ago

Re: 1953 Selmer Paris fix-er-upper question

Why not ask Saxquest for a quote?  Their full mechanical professional tenor overhaul is $950.  Replacing springs might be another $100 - $150.  Dent removal should be reasonable.  With the condition this horn is in though, I would probably contact them directly and get a quote estimate.  There will also be shipping involved.  Based on my past experiences with Saxquest, they do great work!
    As to the logo, this can also be found on the saxophone.org page in the museum section:
    https://saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/specimen/1347

Reply To Post

1. by bjroosevelt
      (47 posts)

7 years ago

Have already asked them for a quote.   Waiting to hear back.   But would like some other opinions too.  Thanks.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

7 years ago

PM Winds in Chicago.

Tenor Madnes in Iowa.

USA Horn in NY Area

And many unadvertised outlets such as myself all over the country.

There are many outlets to get the upper end setup this horn deserves.

You probably have an experienced tech close to where you live.

Expect a price in the 950 and up range.

Its not rocket science, just look for many years of experience.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by bjroosevelt
      (47 posts)

7 years ago

Thank you.  PM Winds in Chicago is closest to me.  I will be out that way in 2 weeks.  Appreciate the thoughts

Reply To Post