Saxophone Forum

by jazzplayer15
(27 posts)
19 years ago

What kind of mouthpiece should I start with?

I'm just starting but I'm going straight into an upper class Jazz band, should I still start with a beginners mouthpiece or should I use a Jazz mouthpiece?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
    (55 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What kind of mouthpiece should I start with?

Go for an Otto Link Tone Edge Hard Rubber piece. They're relatively inexpensive, and friendly to beginners as well as pros.

Reply To Post

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
      (55 posts)

19 years ago

They're pro jazz mouthpieces (thought i should clear that up)

Reply To Post

1. by Tully
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

Links are great, but once you decide what tip opening you like, try several of that facing to be sure you get a good one, since Links' inconsistency is infamous.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Just don't let anyone tell you that you need to spend $150 for a damn Selmer S 80 C*. Definately the worst mouthpiece I have ever tried! For less than $20, get a Rico Royal Graftonite mouthpiece; either a B3 or a B5 (B5 having a slightly larger tip opening). They're fantastic! I use them all the time. Cheap, but great!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Tully
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

If the models for other saxes are as good as the soprano one, the Morgan Protone would be an excellent one to start with.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

first off im suprised no one has asked what sax you play seeing as how you are just starting i would definitly not say go for the otto link especially not the metal, you will fight with it, and especially not if you are an alto playe, i agree with jim about how C*'s are terrible for jazz, i mean i play mine for old school big band harry carney stuff, BUT I've worked with that mouthpiece forever so I can push the limits of its sounds, but yea C* not good and overpriced. anyway... my recomendation PICK YOUR OWN MOUTHPIECE obviously, go somewhere you can try them, but try and stay away from metal if you're new and alot of new metal pieces are trash anyway new links are trash compared to old links, they got cheap with materials. some hard rubber links some runyon stuff MEYERS! definitly if you are new try a meyer, 5m if you're a guy 6m if you are a girl rico royal like jim said (listen to this guy) some vandoren pieces are good anyway still just go some where play around with many models of them different openings different ligatures different reeds of different thickness, my favorite is to record them all seperate using the same thing every time like a scale and easy song (as not to know when you played what) and listen to recording in different orders, but i have a fancy recording dealy so i can mix up tracks my other advice is dont be taken in by shams and hip new trends, like everyone else has a meyer, if everyone else sucks and they play meyers and you get a vandoren and you kick there butts forget them ok well after rambling on if you read all this happy hunting

Reply To Post

4. by mellowfellow
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

if every else has a meyer and suck, why dont someone get a meyer and skills and then own

Reply To Post

5. by Sonny_Rollins
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

you shouldn't even be playing the saxophone at all. JUST GIVE UP

Reply To Post

6. by Tully
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

Do you have any previous experience on clarinet?

Reply To Post AIM