Saxophone Forum

by kitnachi
(41 posts)
19 years ago

Is Jazz coming back?

There was a time.... when jazz was the best thing around to every single living soul...well sorta but then people started to listen to other stuff more, but I have a feeling jazz is starting to come back from the way everything is going these days, are my feelings correct?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
    (255 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Is Jazz coming back?

everything is going these days, are my feelings correct? The knights templar state it dosent really move it remains static.Its just perceptions from young people who are trying to dig it.Art is Art no matter what it is.The problem is education of the masses,something that is a problem with everything not just jazz. For example read this forum, under jazz saxophone, there is little or nothing to do with jazz.See how the character kenny Gee gets most attention who in the knights view cant play and certainly does not play jazz. So quality has to be understood by the minority sadly. In conclusion when jazz is being pushed then all other forms of music and development will follow.Social ,economic factors play their part,such as smashing all exsisting values and rebelious youth.Sadly the youth of today do not understand individuality,creative rebellious action.But for a select band in the world who live , breath, believe jazz, and fight for it all the way.(Bird lives)

Reply To Post

2. by wilson
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, I hate this generation. I think I would've fit in better back when jazz and swing were more prevalent. But anyway, what do you base your predictions on?

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Yobson
    (1 post)

9 years ago

Popular music always seems to be just one step behind what the dance producers are doing. If you look now at electronic music, everything is starting to be fused with Funk, Jazz and Hip-Hop. Once obscure genres like Electro Funk, Glitch Funk, Glitch Hop are becoming more and more popular so it can't be long before the mainstream artists follow in those foot steps. My prediction is soon we will not be going back to our roots but instead, picking up where jazz was left off and continue evolving it's iconic sound. In my opinion we have already started.

Reply To Post

4. by EL Seano
    (255 posts)

19 years ago

Your feelings are quite correct, yet many people are too ignorant to even analyze jazz before they judge it. When you ask ignorant fools about jazz, they immediately think of some kind of marching music. Then I sit them down and play them some Chris Potter, Miles Davis, Bird, Trane and their opinions change. The problem with jazz is that no one will give it a chance to come in to their souls.

Reply To Post

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

The Knights templar response to EL Seano. Great answer you are destined for the round table. May the jazz force be with you (Bird lives)

Reply To Post

2. by mattdude
      (74 posts)

19 years ago

cannonball to add to that list... :) i agree with what you're saying. everybody thinks of jazz as some crap, but then they listen to it and it's so hard not to enjoy it. you really have to work to have a bad time while listening to good jazz. and yes, i do think it's coming back. slowly but surely.

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

19 years ago

When John Mayer spends the summer touring with Herbie Hancock as a SIDE MAN, I think it's a good sign that jazz is coming back....

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Are you serious??? That's awesome.

Reply To Post

2. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

Dead serious. Saw the show earlier this summer with Marcus Miller, Kenny Garrett , Roy Hargrove, Terri Lynn Carrington, etc etc...Mayer played guitar

Reply To Post

3. by tenorsaxman11
          (20 posts)

19 years ago

"...with Marcus Miller, Kenny Garrett , Roy Hargrove, Terri Lynn Carrington, etc etc...Mayer played guitar..." Holy shit! The only person who doesn't belong is the headliner, eh? Glad he's doing his part to bring real talent back into the mainstream.

Reply To Post

4. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

Hancock was the headliner. John knew his role. BTW, he can actually play...WELL!

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

19 years ago

i don't think jazz ever went away! it has had a place as long as i can remember, but i would agree if you would say it's becoming MORE popular. It's easier for youth to experience the jazz world now without being with or close to the music in it's live form. Years ago music was not accessable in as many ways as now. Information on the net makes it possible to learn more faster without going out of your house. In years past you would have to hang out and get to know people just to have them trust you with some small bit of knowledge, now you just punch up a problem and you have people giving opinions from all angles, it's great and can't hurt young upcoming stars. so kids ask, ask, ask i see wise advice from many post on this forum alone. it's alive and well as always.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Do you know if they have any upcoming tour dates, and if so, where?

Reply To Post