Saxophone Forum

by BicahMrad
(2 posts)
6 years ago

Thinking of purchasing my own tenor

Hey guys, new to this forum. I just had a question as I?ve been thinking about this for a while. Im in high school and have been playing tenor for 5 years, I?ve really been wanting to get a personal sax. I?m in my schools symphonic, marching, and jazz bands (I?d never use my own horn for marching). The horn I use belongs to the school, and is a silver plated yts-26. Most my experience is with student level yamahas. I love playing, and hope to continue this far down the road. I want to hear your guys? recomendations and opinions on saxes to get. I love the brightness of yamahas, yet I havn?t had many opportunities to explore the sound of other horns like selmer, keilwerth, etc.

Thank you

I use a selmer s80 c* mouthpiece, and strength 5 Vandoren v16 reeds.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bari saxist
    (6 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Thinking of purchasing my own tenor

If you like the Yamaha, try out the profssional models (YTS-62) or a step up model (YTS-52). I play the YTS-52 with a s80 c* and love it, but you may not like it. You may also like a Yanagisawa, I have the B901 bari and love it. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by BicahMrad
      (2 posts)

6 years ago

Thanks, I've been really thinking of getting a YTS-62, but I've also heard a lot of decent things about cannonball saxes. The main problem for me would be how much they would cost. Another thing is that my band director pushed silver plated instruments for the entire band, and I think if I were to use a yamaha, it would have to be silver. I have nothing against regular lacquer, its just an influence that became a preference, and I'm not sure how much it would efffect the cost.

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

6 years ago

The band director has no right to dictate what color sax you buy for personal use.  If I were you I would consider an YTS-52 or -62 in gold lacquer, and just play the provided silver horn in band class.  But do not get pressured on spending your own money on a silver horn because of the band director.  You should spend your money on the best horn you can buy that meets your preferences in sound and ergonomics, regardless of finish.
        I do not think very much of the Cannonballs...kind of an average horn at an appropriate price. These two Yamahas are considerable better IMO.

Reply To Post