Saxophone Forum

by Paduano
(16 posts)
19 years ago

Alto Sax Upgrade

I currently am entering 10th grade and I play the alto sax. I play a Yamaha YAS-52 model. I like the sound of it but not as well as I like the sound of a professional model sax. Can anyone give me any names of saxes that I can upgrade to?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxon
    (100 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Alto Sax Upgrade

Try the one that you liked the sound of!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The YAS-52 is a great sax. If it is in good playing condition, I would try a different mouthpiece. What sound are you looking for?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Paduano
    (16 posts)

19 years ago

Well...I'm looking for a tone like gerald albright and dave koz. Something bright and edgy.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I would try a Beechler Bellite or a Peter Ponzol M2. Either will give you a bright, edgy sound. The Ponzol would be my choice, but they're a little more expensive. Either one should make your Yamaha scream!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Paduano
    (16 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the imput. I'll be sure to check them out and get back to you sometime.

Reply To Post

4. by Paduano
    (16 posts)

19 years ago

Well...looks like someone puchased a Berg Larsen 100/0M for me. What do you think about it? They said it was ebonite.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

"The YAS-52 is a great sax. If it is in good playing condition, I would try a different mouthpiece. What sound are you looking for?" I like agreeing with this guy, so I'll do it again! but seriously, I wouldn't recommend a pro horn for someone still in HS. Why? Because, pep-band, marching band, moving around, just using it every day, being in a hurry to put the darn thing away... it all adds up! besides your horn is really good, sounds decent, and would work well with a new mouthpiece. =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxjunkie89
        (393 posts)

19 years ago

with Chiamac saying about the whole indoor-outdoor marching craziness, why not get a new sax and use your current yamaha for the marching season, some of my high school's graduated seniors used the exact same sax for marching, the Yamaha model 52

Reply To Post

2. by Paduano
      (16 posts)

19 years ago

Alright, now that makes sense. Thank you very much.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Berg should give you a little more edge and projection. For the sound you're looking for, I think a metal might be your best bet. Yes, metal.....on an alto. I do use one on my alto from time to time. Only when I really want the sax to just scream. As I mentioned before, my fiancee has a high alto voice and she screams at me enough! At least she understands my love for music. She plays flute and piccolo. Piccolo.....now THERE is an annoying instrument for you! Even more so than oboe!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

New definition of perfect pitch: Throwing my fiancee's piccolo into a garbage can from 10 meters without hitting the side of the can!

Reply To Post Yahoo!