Saxophone Forum

by signgilder
(3 posts)
6 years ago

Soprano advice please

This is my first post to the forum. I own a King-H. N. White "C" soprano, serial # 51692 "low pitch" which I am considering offering for sale. The horn has no dents or scratches, has a dark patina likely from tarnish, and is in need of new pads, cleaning & lubricating. There is a defective spring on the lowest key on the right hand (pinky-finger), but all other springs are functional. I am nearing retirement & want to get back into playing, for my own enjoyment. I last played seriously during my days at Ohio State (1967-69), on an old Conn 6M VIII alto, but soprano appeals to me more now. I would appreciate advice from experienced members in this regard: should I hang onto the vintage soprano & have it reconditioned (estimated $500 ballpark, but I suspect somewhat more), or should I try to sell it & purchase a new or newer used saxophone? If I were to sell it, what would be a fair asking price? Some will cringe, but I've read some positive things lately about certain asian instruments (Venus, Schiller etc) which are affordable to me. I also don't want to buy a used instrument & find that it needs major reconditioning. Since the King soprano is basically solid & restorable, is it worth getting the work done, and can I expect decent intonation with a proper mouthpiece? As I said, I would basically be playing at home, for myself. Thanks for any help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Soprano advice please

Your horn is keyed in C, so you have to put that into the scheme of your decision also.

I would say sell it, get a normal Bflat soprano if that is what you like to be playing.

You will get around 500 bucks for it in this condition.

Maybe 850 if it is redone.

I hope this is simple math for you to make your decision.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

6 years ago

IMO that horn has more interest as a curio than as a musical instrument.  A C soprano requires an original mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

1. by signgilder
      (3 posts)

6 years ago

Thanks for your opinion. I've read both positive & negative thoughts about this instrument. Here's link to a video clip that I found featuring the same model H. N. White "C" soprano, with gold finish, fully restored.

https://youtu.be/8tjnT0rWmig

That particular one seems more than a curio. Question is, is there someone out there who might take on a restoration of the horn I'm offering? The Goldbeck mouthpiece has drawn interest by itself, too.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

6 years ago

There are many of us that will gladly work on it.

Expect to pay 500 to 750 for the work.

Then it will play as nice and as in tune as possible.

And a whole step above the Bflat ones, so time to learn to transpose on the spot.

I live in Cincinnati, if that helps.

Always looking for clients

Reply To Post