Saxophone Forum

by jaguade
(3 posts)
6 years ago

Kurusawa alto sax

Anyone know the japanese brand "Kurusawa"? The man who sells it tells me that it is a brand for the internal market of Japan, but I can not find anything about this brand.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Kurusawa alto sax

Check the spelling.  There is a music shop named Kurosawa in Tokyo I think.  

Reply To Post

1. by jaguade
      (3 posts)

6 years ago

The seller has sent me a picture of the bell with the inscription "Kurusawa".

Reply To Post

2. by bjroosevelt
      (47 posts)

6 years ago

I lived in Japan for a year.  Japanese and Chinese translation to English/Roman letters tend to be inconsistent.  If this is a Chinese manufactured private label horn, it is not surprising that The shop is spelled Kurosawa on the internet, but Kurosawa on the horn.......In Japan, they use Chinese Characters for the name Kurosawa (on the internet and in the store), so no one would even notice that there was a translation problem on either the internet or on the horn.  Roman letters are simply considered cool. Misspellings are common.

My guess, therefore, is that it is a Chinese made private label horn manufactured for the Kurosawa horn shop.   Would expect nothing special for the quality.......if it plays well and the price is right, get it.  My guess is that it is worth $200 - $500

.....but this is only speculation.

Reply To Post

1. by jaguade
        (3 posts)

6 years ago

The seller claims that it is a saxophone bought in Japan. Ask € 390 for it.

Reply To Post

1. by bjroosevelt
          (47 posts)

6 years ago

Pricing confirms my guess.  Most likely a Chinese manufactured horn with a Japanese label.  Given that we don’t know the manufacturer, we also don’t know the quality...so it is hard to comment.

Please let us know your experience level if you would like an assessment as to whether it makes sense to purchase. 

Reply To Post