Saxophone Forum

by mgictwnger
(24 posts)
2 weeks ago

Selmer (Paris) is being sold!

I am on the company's mailing list, and got this email today. Is this the beginning of the end?

Dear Friend of Henri Selmer Paris, 

Today is a special day for our company and its community, of which you are a prominent member.

130 years after its foundation our company has announced that it has entered into exclusive negotiations with a European growth-oriented private equity fund, Argos Soditic, for a change in ownership.

This is great news for our future, and we wanted to share this directly with you.

This transaction will help us to develop the company and maintain the extraordinary spirit of our products. With the support and strength of Argos, we will have additional resources to help us transform the business while maintaining the highest standards in our industry. We will become stronger to face the growing international demand, and better meet the expectations of our customers.

I will stay in office along with the management team. The objective to remain the unchallenged leader of saxophones and a major player of mouthpieces is shared with Argos along with the determination to strengthen our position in clarinets through our great new range. 

As a sign of confidence in the future, some members of the Selmer family will remain shareholders, and the management team will invest along with Argos.

I’m pleased to send you attached the press release that we are sending out today. Today is going to be a very busy day, but I’m more than happy to provide you with more details if you wish.

Let me extend my thanks for your trust and recognition, and wish you all the best for 2018.

Jérôme Selmer
Chief Executive Officer

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (162 posts)

2 weeks ago

Re: Selmer (Paris) is being sold!

Sorry to bring reality to light, but the beginning of the end happened around 1980.

This is when Selmer changes to the Mark VII. That was the beginning of the end.

Selmer has  produced many wonderful saxophones since then, but this was when Selmer

became just another company.

There are many more wonderful Selmer saxophones in the market today than there are players looking for them. Jazz is dead. All there is now is nastalgic people listening to old music and musicians playing and listening to jazz, because they understand it. Nobody under 40 cares. They would rather listen to Kenny G or Justin Bieber with his electronic sound effects keeping his beat.

So, Vintage Selmers are the best horns out there?

If that is your feeling, that has not and will not change.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (663 posts)

2 weeks ago

Re: Selmer (Paris) is being sold!

I agree with historicalsaxwhisperer.  The company has been using their past glory to push an absurd pricing model for years now.  In recent years their marketing has gotten downright gimmicky - "special edition" this and that.  It will be interesting to see what changes with the new ownership structure.

Reply To Post