Saxophone Forum

by Jazzhound
(6 posts)
6 years ago

1937-1938 Selmer BA Alto

I bought a Selmer BA alto (#27110) about 4 years ago, and for insurance purposes am trying to appraise it.  Therefore, I am trying to determine if the finish is original or not.  I love how it plays.  Its the best alto I've ever owned.  I've owned several vintage Buescher altos, some original laquer (and showing it) and some re-laquered that looked very nice at first.  It has been my experience that the corrosion eventually always comes back through on re-laquered instruments.  As for my current Selmer, it is in about the best condition I've ever seen a horn from that era.  It spent the majority of its life in California with a "professional-playing" owner, and the seller (the owner's daughter) believed it was original laquer.  I've been playing it here and there for weddings and big band events, and so far, it still looks like it rolled off the factory floor (except for the expected small wear by the right hand thumb hook and palm keys.  The engraving is deep and there are no dents or pitting anywhere.  I am only questioning because it is almost too good to be true.  Any opinions out there?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Re: 1937-1938 Selmer BA Alto

Selmer horns were lacquered in Paris then engraved in Elkhart Indiana. So, it should not show lacquer in the engraving. The lacquer was cut when the engraving was done. Lacquer over the engraving is the proof of a relacquered horn.

It also could have been reengraved by a very good engraver. Probably not.

I myself would put it through as original engraving. If it is stolen or destroyed, no expert will be available to tell you differently anyway.

Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Jazzhound
      (6 posts)

6 years ago

Re: 1937-1938 Selmer BA Alto

Thanks for the info!  

Reply To Post