Saxophone Forum

by RobertD
(73 posts)
6 years ago

Another new member saying hello

Hi all. I'm retired and I began playing saxophone three weeks ago. I've been playing brass and guitar over the last few years after a long thirty-year or so hiatus. Then, a few weeks ago, I just began thinking about playing the saxophone again.

I went to Catholic school to grade five. Catholic school didn't offer a music program. We moved and when I entered the public school system in sixth grade, I was thrilled to find we had weekly music classes and we could join chorus and/or band and learn to play a musical instrument. My first choice was the saxophone. But when I went to the music room to join the band the music teacher told me, "Eric Swayne already has the saxophone. I need trumpet players!"

So trumpet it was. I threw myself into music.

Later, thanks to the grade school music program, I entered a high school for the arts where I benefitted from a very strong public school music education. We had daily music theory classes first year. Harmony second year. Music Appreciation third year. Fourth year focused on performance. It was like a mini-conservatory program along with high school.

I played multiple brass instruments and I used my music education to learn guitar and electric bass as well. It was the sixties and I was playing in adult bands in bars and clubs when I was fifteen years old.

I've been playing sax daily since January 29 (I haven't picked up any of my brass or guitars since.) I memorized the chromatic scale the first day and along with practicing the essentials I'm reading standards out of fake books just for fun. This is the best time I've had in years. Brass was torture. Saxophone is so much more of a sophisticated and seductive instrument. When I'm about to practice, I tell the wife, "I'm going to make out with my sax for a while."

Why did I wait until now? Why? Why did Eric Swayne beat me to the music room that day?

Life's mysteries. But it looks like I've finally solved this one. :)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Another new member saying hello

Welcome to the Forum.

This is a wonderful post. Most of the post here are people talking about their instruments, their value, where do I sell my horn. Is it worth having refurbished....It is very refreshing to see a post from someone simply enjoying the music and the therapy of playing the saxophone.

I have played since 5th grade. Went on to study music at a college level. Played with various bands and wonderful musicians. Became a father and then became a banker. I never gave up the horn and my interest in vintage saxophones. Now 45 years later I'm still a banker, a closet saxophone collector, a hobbyist with 25 years of saxophone refurbishing experience, and still love to pick up my 1964 Selmer Mark VI that I rescued and had refurbished in 1980. I guess that started my interest in saxophone refurbishing. Finding a relic in bad shape and turing it into an exceptional tool to make music. From that point, I had to learn the refurbishing art.

Don't get bored. Push yourself forward. Join a community band, Keep practicing. Ask practice question as they arise. But mainly ENJOY!

Reply To Post

1. by RobertD
      (73 posts)

6 years ago

Thank you so much for the welcome and the good advice. I wish I never gave up music for so long but now that I'm playing again I realize what a gift a music education is. I'll be asking questions as they arise. Thanks again!

Robert

Reply To Post

2. by RobertD
      (73 posts)

6 years ago

Ah - vintage musical instruments. I have a few too many of those around here too. Here are a few photos of one of mine. It's the only one of its kind I've ever seen - not a cornet but a full Eb alto horn the size of a cornet. It has the Buescher "Crack No Tone" bell, aka the "heavy bell" - my c. 1912-14 Buescher No 20 True Tone Bell Front Alto in Eb:

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

6 years ago

Welcome to the forum....

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by RobertD
      (73 posts)

6 years ago