Saxophone Forum

by Sax_Shark
(134 posts)
19 years ago

V5 or C*?

I need some advice on buying a well-to-do mouthpiece. The two best possibilities are the Selmer C* and the Vandoren V5. I'm buying for a tenor and a soprano. Should I get the same type for both? Which is better? And if I get a V5, does it REALLY matter what type I get for each (ie: T25, T27, etc.)? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: V5 or C*?

What kind of horn, and what type of sound are you looking for? What kind of music? Sorry, need a little more info. What C* are you considering?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Sax_Shark
      (134 posts)

19 years ago

My tenor is a King Zephyr Special and my soprano will be a Woodwind. I would like my sound to be smooth and clear. I still have to play in a band format in school so I still have to be ale to blend with other instruments. The C* will probably be the S80 C*.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

for a vintage horn, that C* wont work, it wont tune right. You need a larger chambered mouthpiece. Look at the Otto link tone edge, or a meyer, a brilhardt, or anything else you can find with a large chamber

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax_Shark
          (134 posts)

19 years ago

alright, so if I was to get the Meyer, how would I know which facing to get? What's the difference in the numbers? I seem to be getting lost in all the letters and stars

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

try a meyer 5M, thats the most commonly used one, and its pretty easy to play

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I wouldn't recommend the C* or the V5 for the Zephyr. Both have fairly small chamber sizes. I'd recommend either the Meyer 5M like Definition suggested, or an Otto Link Tone Edge hard rubber piece. For jazz, you may want to try a metal. The Jody Jazz ESP would be a great piece for the King, or the Otto Link Super Tone Master.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

*cough* Otto Link Super Tone Master *cough* you mean a open tube that just happens to fit a reed? can't get much more open than a link.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

How about a Ralph Morgan piece? His 3Cs get a lot of rave for symphonic purposes

Reply To Post