Saxophone Forum

by cannonballkyle25
(1 post)
6 years ago

Vintage Martin Sax Help

Hi!

Im looking to get back into playing and am trying to find a vintage Sax.  I've had my eye on a silver Alto Martin but need help identifying it and wondering how much I should pay.  Owner says Sax is from the 20s or 30s and has a serial number 75940. Can anyone help figure out which model this is and how much I should expect to pay?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Vintage Martin Sax Help

It looks to be a Martin Handcraft.

https://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/model/113

Older model since it does not have a front F key.

You can always palm open the high F key with your left palm and get the same affect as a front f key. So.... A good starter horn for your goal of getting back into playing.

The pads look to be old white pads.

It may play, but assume it will need some minor work at minimum.

I myself would not pay more than 85 bucks for one.

After you have it worked on and spend maybe 100 to 250 it will then be worth 150 to 200 bucks. I do my own work, so I dont have the shop cost, just the time input cost.

There are a lot of these and their value is not great. But, they play wonderful. Also, built like a tank. Wont get that from a newer Taiwan made horn. If you are looking for an inexpensive American horn, its a good horn to play. I have one just like it with a front F. It was my first horn EVER and it is still the alto I gravitate to. My dad paid 12 bucks for it at an old farm auction and had enough insight to repad it for me. My first introduction to vintage saxes some 45 years ago.

I have sort of a collection of horns now...

Good Luck

Reply To Post