Saxophone Forum

by lan205
(8 posts)
6 years ago

King Voll-True IIII

Hi.  I’m trying to get some info/value of my Dad’s alto sax.  It has the following markings – King Voll-True IIII; made by the HN White Co, Cleveland – O.  No 1.549.911, pat’d 8-18-25;  SN: 145411. From his records I’m thinking this was made or purchased in 1942 or 1943

I can’t find info on the IIII and the dates don’t seem to match up with the serial number. Can anyone help?  thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

6 years ago

Re: King Voll-True IIII

That's an interesting, beautiful old horn!  The serial number puts the production date around 1933, which would make it a concurrent model with the Voll-True II.  It might be a limited production, gussied-up version of the Voll-True II on which there seems to be no documentation.  A few years later, King made a deluxe version of the Zephyr with a sterling silver bell called the Zephyr Special.  I'm wondering if the Voll-True IIII might be something equivalent.  It's conceivable that it was purchased as new old stock in 1942-43 after sitting unsold because of its initial high price at the height of the Great Depression and replacement with the Zephyr model in 1935.  During the war, demand for saxophones was outstripping supply as manufacturers switched to wartime production.

Reply To Post

1. by lan205
      (8 posts)

6 years ago

Thanks for the info.  Very interesting.  That's definitely more than I could come up with.  Any idea on what it's worth?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

6 years ago

Tough call.  Most of the interest in Kings starts with the Zephyr, but a King with a silver bell (and neck?) produced that early holds some historical interest.  The King "Silversonic" theme was a silver bell, brass body, and silver neck.  Is that what your horn has?

Reply To Post

1. by lan205
          (8 posts)

6 years ago

It looks like all brass??

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
          (842 posts)

6 years ago

Sorry, but I don't understand your question.  From the photos the bell looks silver.  That is in contrast to the brass key guard.  King was known to be producing horns with sterling silver bells and necks in the late 1930s, which makes me wonder if you have an example of that theme produced earlier than is generally known.  Maybe some additional pictures of the whole horn, including the neck, would be helpful.  There is also the possibility that the bell is silver plated.  Maybe inspecting where the bell toneholes are attached would yield some clues as to whether it is sterling or plated silver.  Or you could have the horn inspected by someone who really knows their silver to determine that.

Reply To Post

3. by lan205
          (8 posts)

6 years ago

I guess it could be silver or silver plated.  I was a clarinet player.  I really don't have knowledge on  saxophones.  that's why I posted on here. thanks.

Reply To Post