Saxophone Forum

by RoYrOy
(51 posts)
19 years ago

Finger position Technique->Economizing Movement

Hey, I was just wondering all you sax players opinion on something. First of all, does it help to try to keep your fingers on the keys to economize movement and be faster? Second, I've noticed that keeping my fingers on the keys, it's easyer for me to go down a scale controled than to go up, my fingers feel lost going up. Suggestions? Third, I'm a big guy, don't know if it matters, but to play from high D to F# I have to change my left hand's position, tilt it up a bit to get to those palm keys, normal? or me messing up?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Finger position Technique->Economizing Movement

you might be able to get a tech. to adjust the how high the keys are by bending them. but i wouldn't try it myself. he might have to heat it or something. as far as fingers on the keys, whatever is comfortable and works for you.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

they make pad risers... better doing that then messing around with the keys.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by peter090
        (155 posts)

19 years ago

You can purchase risers or make them out of cork. I suppose if you were worried about the glue on the finish and the purchased slip on risers are too low you could glue cork to them. That way you could customize the height and have them easly removable. As far as keeping your fingers on (or very near) the keys, yes by all means. Do technical studies slowly enough so that you CAN do this. Too often all people work on is speed. The idea is to improve your technique so that you can increase speed. Not to simple increase the rate at which you can perform with bad technique.

Reply To Post

1. by RoYrOy
          (51 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks peter090 and the rest of u ppl! Hey is it possible to have a good technique fast and a poor technique slow, today I was jamming with some friends and I could really ripp fast, the only problem I have is tonguing fast.

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
          (155 posts)

19 years ago

It is possible but not likely. I think the best thing I can say is to repeat that if you practice slowly enough to make sure you are using good technique your speed will increase. Playing fast is only part of the goal. Coordination of the tongue. Having each note speak clearly. Being able to play anything quickly rather than things that are familiar under your fingers. Always maintaining a good sound. These are all aspects of good technique.

Reply To Post