Saxophone Forum

by tiger
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Elkhart alt sax

I am trying to find out some more information on the Elkhart alt saxophone. Has a deer inside a heart with the text ”BAND-INST.CO.” engraved on the bell. Text outside the heart is: “The Elkhart“, “Elkhart-Indiana, U$A” Serial # is 12512. I just want to get an idea of the history and a fair asking price if I want to sell it. It is playable and in reasonable condition. I know for sure that it is at least 45 years old

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Elkhart alt sax

It's an Elk, not a deer. It was made between 1917-1925. Both Conn and Buescher made the Elkharts. They were pretty good horns; good intonation. They're not particularly valuable though. Chances are, even if it's playable, it's going to need some adjustments and probably some pads. On ebay, they usually bring between $200-$300.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by tiger
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I will give it some serious thought if I am going to overhaul it or not.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If you can do some of the work yourself, it's worth the cost of the materials. That's the problem with some of the really old horns and one of the reasons why I learned to do a lot of the repairs myself. I know that they're not particularly valuable, but I own several and restore them just because I don't have the heart not to.

Reply To Post Yahoo!