Saxophone Forum

by saxman987
(11 posts)
19 years ago

Can anyone tell me about good bari saxes?

I have been playing bari for a while and I was wondering what some good intermediate or pro models were?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Can anyone tell me about good bari saxes?

theres a ton of great ones out there. the yani 991's are nice. im not a yamaha fan, but they have a good bari. the new selmers(paris made of course), but not as good as the old ones. my favorite of course is the mark vi. but yeah my theory is experiment, find one you sound good on and take it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Bariboy
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

i agree. try some different horns because one horn might work someone but might not work for u. i am a huge fan of yamaha's. YBS-52 is my choise of horns. the YBS-62 is not as good as the 52. hope this helped.

Reply To Post

3. by Vondermark
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

I recently came across a good one at my church. It is an old 1930's Low Tone Buescher. That is a good one though it doens't have a low A on it. The horn is a custom model and the bell is bigger than my face which is amazing. Ummm another good one is the Selmer Mark VI, that is a sweet horn.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Among my favorite baritones are the Conn 12M (or 11M with low A) The King Zephyr, Buescher Big B (Aristocrat) and the Selmer Mark VI. These are all vintage models, of course. Of the newer Baritones. I really like the Keilwerth and the Yamahas.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Among my favorite baritones are the Conn 12M (or 11M with low A) The King Zephyr, Buescher Big B (Aristocrat) and the Selmer Mark VI. These are all vintage models, of course. Of the newer baritones, I really like the Keilwerth and the Yamahas.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

19 years ago

jim i heard 11m's were absolutetrash though? and do you have any 12m's for sale

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The 11M's are fairly rare. Conn intruduced the 11M in 1968. The first 11M's were pretty good. They're basically the same horn as the 12M, only with a low A extension. What happened was that shortly after the 11M was introduced, Conn was sold to MacMillan. MacMillan moved all production to Nogales, AZ and later Mexico and quality really went down. If you are lucky enough to find an 11M with an "L" prefix in the serial number (indicating 1968) it's a pretty good horn. Those made between 1969-1970 were not as good, and those after 1970 (Serial prefix "N") are trash. I have a 1958 12M that is not playable. It belonged to a school, and I bought it in need of a lot of repair. It has some pretty bad dents and needs a complete overhaul. I'm not sure if I want to try to restore it or just use it as a parts horn, actually. I just finished restoring a 1930 New Wonder series II transitional baritone; often called a Mulligan after Gerry Mulligan. It's not for sale though.

Reply To Post Yahoo!