Saxophone Forum

by spifster
(67 posts)
19 years ago

Perfect classical sound

I was wondering, what should classical saxophone sound like? Obviously there will be disagreements on details but I've never heard professional classical saxophone so I need at least a general idea for a starting point.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by phathorn
    (165 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Perfect classical sound

Boy I can't wait to see the can of worms that's opened here..... ....here's a thought. Go to amazon.com 's music section. Go to classical music and do a search for saxophone. Start listening to the sample tracks. I would especially look for names like James Houlik, Marcel Mule, Sigurd Rascher, Laura Hunter, James Forger, Joe Lulloff, Tim McCallister, and any others you might find...make up your own mind what it's supposed to sound like.

Reply To Post

1. by Vondermark
      (18 posts)

19 years ago

Eugene Ruossou has a wonderful classical sound, as does Lawrence Gwozdz, Jean Marie Londeix, and Francois Danieels. Don Sinta also has a great sound from what I hear. Maybe listening to them. Though I grew up listening to Rascher students so I'm rather partial to that sound myself, even though Donald Sinta and Eugene Rousso are not Rascher students from what I understand but tend to lean more towards the Larry Teal style of playing.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

19 years ago

Sinta was actually a Teal student. Rousseau, to me, has kind of a hybrid between the french and american sounds...

Reply To Post