Saxophone Forum

by Terrel
(3 posts)
6 years ago

Vandoren mouthpieces

Tip opening and facing length specs for Vandoren V5 alto A20 and A25 mouthpieces appear to be the same.  What's the difference?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Vandoren mouthpieces

A20 tip 176

A25 tip 186

Reply To Post

1. by Terrel
      (3 posts)

6 years ago

Thanks for responding, but I'm curious where your info comes from.  The data sheet on the Vandoren website indicates:  A15, 176;  A20 & 25, 186 

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

6 years ago

This is an interesting question.  I have found two different answers on this Saxquest site:

1.https://www.saxquest.com/product/view/vandoren-v5-v5-jazz-mouthpieces-for-alto-sax-P2573
        2.https://www.saxophone.org/resources/guestArticle/view/article/12

The first one states that the tip opening for the A20 and A25 alto V5 mouthpieces are .073" (186mm), with the difference being that the A20 has a medium length lay, and the A25 has a medium-long lay for better low tones.

The second link is to a tip opening chart and it shows .062" (158mm) for the A20 and .065" (165mm) for the A25.

I also found a couple of other tip opening charts.  One that agreed with historicsaxwhisperer and one that agreed with link #2 above.

You might just try going to the bottom of the Vandoren V5 alto sax mouthpiece page and scroll down to the bottom where you will see "contact"  listed under the website category.  

Hey, maybe they will know if there is a difference. 

Reply To Post

1. by Terrel
          (3 posts)

6 years ago

I shoulda cited my source for the specs in my original post- they're from the Technical Specifications page on the Vandoren website:
              https://www.vandoren-en.com/V5-Saxophone-Mouthpieces_a48.html 
                  >>> Click here to view the product datasheet
               This chart indicates that both the A20 & A25 have ML facing lengths, and 1.86mm (.073") tip openings.  Might that be a misprint? 
               Sounds like there're a lot of "alternative specs" out there.

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

6 years ago

Yes, I have looked at those same Vandoren specs.  The significant spec discepancies are not a new thing with the internet!  I really think that the only way to get the real answer is to contact Vandoren directly and ask them.

If you find out, please update this thread with the answer.

Good luck! 

Reply To Post

3. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

6 years ago

OK, so I was so intrigued by the duplicate specs that I contacted Van Doren myself.  Here is the very interesting response that they sent.

"You are correct, the tip opening and facing length of the A25 and the A20 are identical.  The only difference is in the thickness of the rails.  The A20 has slightly thicker rails which does add a bit of resistance to the mouthpiece.  This can result in a mouthpiece that may be a little darker, has more resistance of attack, and can also work better with lighter reeds."

An interesting explanation, but why don't they give some hint of this in the spec sheet? 

Reply To Post

4. by bjroosevelt
          (47 posts)

6 years ago

Because they want you to use their dealer network, rather than find everything out on the internet.  One of the ways that equipment manufacturers support their knowledgable dealer network is by not puting everything out on the internet.  

I live in a place where the closest ‘good’ horn shop is a couple hour drive.  I actually waste a lot of money buying stuff on the internet that doesn’t work out because it is a 5 hour committment for me to run to the music store. Using a store really is more efficient, if you have one close by.  

I personally believe that independent music shops should be supported. They provide a valuable service.  

Reply To Post