Saxophone Forum

by Maria L
(1 post)
19 years ago

Alto Sax information

My daughter will be playing in the high school band and would like to upgrade her Conn Alto sax (which hasn't been working right anyway). What would you suggest for a 14 yr old who will continue in the band through high school? I have no idea or any knowledge of instruments. Please help. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Alto Sax information

I would highly suggest one of the new Yamaha YAS 62 Series II alto's. They are an intermediate-pro model horn for a near student model price. They have a nice neutral sound which would be great for concert, symphonic, and marching band; or even jazz band with the right mouthpiece and set up.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

19 years ago

your in a really bad position. i would either get the conn repaired or rent a dencent horn for a year or 2. you see when you first get into high school your not gonna know quite what you want. waiting until you get a better feel for sax playing it will be easier to be willing to spend more, get a better horn, and the odds are you wont regret what you buy. i am going to be a senoir high school and i just purchased my pro series horn. i spent the last 3 years trying to figure out what i wanted to buy and where to get it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I only recommend renting for a student who is just getting started and doesn't know what instrument they really want to play, or rather they even want to stick with it. Even still, you can usually buy a decent used instrument that has been reconditioned, use it for a year or so, and sell it and get your money back. Renting adds up fast! It sounds like your daughter plans on continuing with saxophone through high school and possibly college. I would suggest making the investment now, and buying her a saxophone that she can use through college. A couple questions about the Conn: Do you know roughly how old it is? What's the serial number? Engraving on the bell? Do you have any idea what's wrong with it? Pads? It may be worth repairing. The earlier Conns were great horns (1925-1968), especially the 6M. Some of the 1970's Conns that were made in Mexico are not all that good, but then those made within the last 20 years are pretty good too.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

I would suggest not buying a "great" horn to use though college, but a good used horn that could get though the next few years. for example... I thought that I would still be playing in bands though college, I didn't. My friend who bought a $2000 trombone only used it for a little over 3 years and dosn't touch the thing anymore. Wait until after high school, or even after her freshmen year in college to make that big investment. those are just my thoughts, and its' 9am at work... so I'm a little cranky. =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM