Saxophone Forum

by Aesop89
(12 posts)
19 years ago

Jupiter Alto

At the end of symphonic band last year I was looking to upgrade from my YAS-23, and the sax clinician we had (A student of Western Carolina University) sold me his Jupiter Artist Series Alto for $300, nothing at all wrong with it, just looked like hell from marching band. I was wondering if anyone else plays on this alto, and if so what mouthpiece/reed combo do you use? Also if anyone could tell me how this jupiter stacks up to other saxes I would be very appreciative (is it an intermediate or pro horn?). thx in advance, ~Aesop

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by uncrazy99
    (12 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Jupiter Alto

I'm not sure about the Jupiter...I've heard Jupiter makes good flutes, but I'm not sure about saxes. For a mouthpiece I was using Hite's premiere mouthpiece at the recommendation of my band director, but it just doesn't cut it anymore. Now I use a Selmer C*...they're great. For reeds I use a combo. I use La Voz reeds for marching because of the edgy sound that cuts through and lets me be heard a bit. I use Hemke's for concert band because they have a great tone. And I use the Vandoren ZZ's for jazz band because that's what they're made for - and they work GREAT. Any other questions?

Reply To Post

1. by Aesop89
      (12 posts)

19 years ago

Nope, thats about it. Thanks for all the information!

Reply To Post

2. by shibbysax
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

hey bro i play a jupiter. MY two saxes were out of commission for a little while so i was playing on the schools jupiter and im still using it for marching band. I think it plays just fine, i havnt found anything wrong with it. Its a good horn over all.

Reply To Post

3. by shibbysax
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

hey bro i play a jupiter. MY two saxes were out of commission for a little while so i was playing on the schools jupiter and im still using it for marching band. I think it plays just fine, i havnt found anything wrong with it. Its a good horn over all.

Reply To Post

4. by shibbysax
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

5. by shibbysax
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

6. by shibbysax
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

1. by Saxon
      (100 posts)

19 years ago

anyone else like upiters out there?? I was under the impressionn that you bought a Jupiter if you couldn't afford a Yamaha! I'd like to know how the 2 compare?

Reply To Post

1. by Aesop89
        (12 posts)

19 years ago

My jupiter is an artist series while my yamaha is the student model, so I really dont think its too fair to compare these two. But if I had too, my jupiter wins hands down over my yamaha

Reply To Post

1. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

19 years ago

specifically, what do you like better about the Jupiter?

Reply To Post

2. by SaxAppeal
          (67 posts)

19 years ago

It has the name of a planet on it!!!

Reply To Post

3. by Aesop89
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

I really like the keywork on the Jupiter, and its a really nice sounding horn. Plus, the added high F# key is just a lot of fun to have haha. The thing I like most tho is the price, I only had to pay 300, which rocked.

Reply To Post