Saxophone Forum

by Swingbop'ers
(3 posts)
6 years ago

Bass Sax !

Hey everbody ! I'm new here ! 

So i start just asking a question : I've just bought a vintage bass sax and I#m having so much fun playing it in oldtime jazz bands... Have you ever tried one and what was your feeling ? 

Cheers, daniel 

www.swingbopers.com

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by RobertD
    (73 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Bass Sax !

Welcome! I like your version of "Softly As A Morning Sunrise"!

I've only been playing sax for four months. All alto. Never played a bass. How does anyone play a bass sax? I'd need a stepladder to reach the mouthpiece! :/

Reply To Post

1. by Swingbop'ers
      (3 posts)

6 years ago

Thanks ! we worked a lot on Softly ;) 

Bass sax is not that big but its heavy blowing in it, sometimes i have the feeling blowing in 3 alto in the same time,

good luck learning the alto ! ;) 

Swingbopers : www.swingbopers.com
      Nadia Lafi : www.nadialafi.com

Reply To Post

1. by RobertD
        (73 posts)

6 years ago

I've been coming along pretty quickly. I segued from brasswinds to saxophone. Tone production is no problem coming off of a brasswind embouchure. Fingering was the only thing giving me fits. I had brasswind fingering stuck in my head for over fifty years. I've been practicing three to four hours a day to overcome my persisten brass fingering infection and it's beginning to pay off.

I've been working on Mingus' "Self Portrait In Three Colors" - I can't get it out of my head and I'm having the time of my life trying. :)

Reply To Post