Saxophone Forum

by ToasterTron2000
(5 posts)
6 years ago

Restored C sax

I have a C Sax with brass lacquer, and I have no idea about its worth or origin. Any thoughts?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Restored C sax

Although it looks rather nice, there is no real market for C melody saxes nowadays.  It looks like this is a Buescher from around 1929-1930.  A particular problem you face is that this is a high pitch instrument which means that it will not play in tune with any modern piano or other C instrument, since all modern instruments are made to the low pitch standard.  I do not know the value, but the bad news is that I doubt it is worth very much at all.

Reply To Post

1. by ToasterTron2000
      (5 posts)

6 years ago

See that's the interesting part, it's not actually high pitched. The HP is more than likely initials? Because being a flute player myself, I have no problem playing my solos ect in tune, at the same pitch. It should be noted that the sax is about 24 inches from the inside of the neck to the bell

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

6 years ago

That's interesting.  Here is the serial number marking found on a Buescher True Tone C mel that is only perhaps 1 year older.  https://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/specimen/1404

Note the "Low Pitch" marking below the triangle, and above the License information.  Since your horn does not have "Low Pitch" marked there (and does have the HP markings) I assume that it is high pitched.
        There are others on this forum with more C mel experience than me.  Maybe they will chime in. 

Reply To Post