Saxophone Forum

by Nele
(6 posts)
19 years ago

High notes on soprano

I'm working on classical saxophone repertoire on the soprano sax and I'm finding it difficult to get the high notes out. I can only play them quietly or else they squeak. Any advice on the sort of reed I could use? My sax is a Yamaha 475 with the standard mouthpiece. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

19 years ago

Re: High notes on soprano

Well... It depends on what strength reed you're using. I currently use a Rico Select Jazz Med Hard reed on my soprano. Although, because of the piece of crap mouthpiece the soprano came with, the high notes sound no good, but they come out! I'm planning on getting a Selmer S80 C* soprano mpc. for it, though. Hope this helps!

Reply To Post

1. by Nele
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

I'm currently using strength 3 vandoren trad.

Reply To Post

1. by Bibimbop
        (53 posts)

19 years ago

You definitly need to use a hard reed. My setup for soprano is a Selmer S90 190 with a Vandoren 3.5 reed, bay ligatiure I've been playing soprano a couple years now, and I find that you must keep a higher tongue position for all notes on the horn. Also, do lots of overtones on soprano. Not only with it improve you sound, but you'll add much flexibility to your playing. Also do mouthpiece exercises with voicing. The pitch you need to produce with just the soprano mouthpiece is a concert C. It's a different pitch for all the different mouthpieces (a,t,b). Good luck and happy practicing.

Reply To Post