Saxophone Forum

by aznfbi
(3 posts)
19 years ago

A good alto sax?

im in high school and im playing an alto sax but im useing one from the school. I was thinking of getting a sax. i found some stuff on ebay but looks crappy... i was thinking of a LA SAX but not too sure, any advice?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by uncrazy99
    (12 posts)

19 years ago

Re: A good alto sax?

I recommend Yamaha, but not the student level ones. I got a Yamaha YAS-52 which is on the low end of the professional saxes, but it was SO MUCH better than what I started on (Vito from LeBlanc). A really nice one is the Yamaha YAS-62, but it's in a completely different price range than mine. I also found mine on EBAY. Just look around for good deals. We bought mine for $500 and spent about $500 fixing it up. Not bad, for a good sax. Another good brand to check out is Yanagisawa (sp?) I like them...

Reply To Post

2. by Vondermark
    (18 posts)

19 years ago

Noooooooooooooooooooo! Don't get the La Sax! I would recommend Selmer, Yahmaha, or Cannonball saxophones. One rather obscure brand that I found to be comprable to the Yahmaha YAS-23 (a student model) is the Empire brand of saxophone. A Monique in good condition would be a good way to go.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Vondermark, you're recommending a Monique over an LA Sax? Did you fall and bump your head? There's nothing wrong with LA Sax. They're actually quite good for the money. Their pro model horns are made by B&S, like the Dave Guardalas. Their cheaper horns are made in Taiwan, by Jupiter I do believe. Moniques are junk. Yes, the newer ones are better, but still a far cry from an LA Sax!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Vondermark
        (18 posts)

19 years ago

I think I might have actually acquired an injury early in life. Anyway, I like the Frank Guardalas. A guy I play with during church has one. They really do look neat, and they sound pretty good too. Jupiter Pro Models are allright I think.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

no, no, no! not LA Sax! look into selmer, keilwerth, yanigasawa, or yamaha. those are the top brands these days. the selmer series III is awesome, and i have a reference which i love!

Reply To Post

2. by llehctiMnairB
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

I have the series III and i love it. References are a little bit pricey. But still a good sax.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

I'd avoid the LA Sax. You'd be better off purchasing a nice Yamaha 23 and keep\ it in good condition, because someday, you'll want to upgrade your sax, or sell it. If you end up trying a LA Sax and loving it more than the other horns in your range, buy it. If you're just buying it for the great lacquer job you saw online on pictures, that won't tell you much. You have to try the horns. A horn is a big investment, and you have to shop around before you buy. Take your time, and save up the money, and try a lot of horns, so you can get a horn that you really love. Good Luck -tenor562

Reply To Post

4. by barisaxguy14
          (14 posts)

19 years ago

I definetly agree with karebear. NO LA SAX! Selmers are awesome, but may be a little expensive. If you have a low budget, try a yamaha. If you want the best there is, get some kind of selmer.

Reply To Post

2. by saxman124
        (6 posts)

19 years ago

I have an L.A. Sax. I have played on it since 1997. I bought it when I was in high school and it has done great for me. I have done many performances with it in groups and as solo. Don't listen to everyone who bashes L.A. Sax. I admit that choosing a sax is an investment, but most people just bash saxes because they aren't Selmer. To a lot of people, Selmer is like god. If you aren't too sure if you are going to pursue music or not, don't go with a Selmer. You can end up spending at least $2K on a decent Selmer. If you are not completely sold that you want to pursue music, don't spend all the money. L.A. Saxes are good for the money and if you don't end up sticking with music you at least didn't invest a lot of money. On the other hand, you can always upgrade in the future. I am not bashing Selmer, I think they are great saxes. If you really want to know what you will like, try some out. I have tried many Selmers and other brands. I can tell you in my opinion Selmer makes a great sax, but you are paying a whole lot extra because it says Selmer on the bell. Most people will agree you can't beat a vintage Selmer like a Mark IV. Unless you are stuck on buying vintage there are quite a few modern brands that make great saxes.

Reply To Post

1. by saxman124
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

Just a follow up. The original L.A. Sax company manufactured all their saxes at same factory. My L.A. Sax is from the original L.A. Sax company and is before the company was sold. I can not vouche for any of the new L.A. Sax products.

Reply To Post

1. by aznfbi
            (3 posts)

19 years ago

thx for everything i might just go with a yamaha at my local music store.

Reply To Post