Saxophone Forum

by normalrog
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Hamilton Tenor? Maybe Pre-Conn?

A guy in town has an old tenor branded as Hamilton, he thinks the brand is somehow related to Conn. Anyone ever heard of Hamilton?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Hamilton Tenor? Maybe Pre-Conn?

Hamilton was a stencil name and i think it was stencilled by conn but a picture would help. The tell tale sign is the mercedes type low C keyguard and the serial number stamp . Dave

Reply To Post

1. by normalrog
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks Dave. I assume that "stencil name" means a distribution brand or company that sub-contracted the design & manufacture of the horn out to and established manufacturer (Conn)? If so, would the stencil horn be identical in design & quality to the Conn or would there be design features or quality levels unique to the stencil horn? I'll try to get a couple pics of the horn...

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

A stencil is a horn made by one company for another. It wouldn't be pre-Conn, because Conn was the first manufacturer her in the United States and began making saxophones as early as 1889. I think the Hamiltons were in fact one of the earlier Conn stencils. A picture would definately help. Is there a patent number on the horn? What is the serial number? Is the an H or an L or LP near the serial number? My guess is that it is a Conn Stencil made sometime between 1917-1923 which resembles a New Wonder Series I.

Reply To Post Yahoo!