Saxophone Forum

by agc8
(25 posts)
6 years ago

Selmer goes Taiwanese...

Does any one know when Selmer began using Taiwanese parts? And specifically which parts are now Taiwanese (e.g. in the Ref  34 and 54)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Selmer goes Taiwanese...

I do not think Selmer Paris has gone anywhere to make their parts other than Paris France.

Selmer USA is a totally different company. They make what is considered student level horns. Something Selmer Paris has never done.

Balanced Action

Super Balanced Action

Mark VI

Mark VII

SA80 I, II, III

Ref 34 and 54

All from Selmer Paris.

Everything Else is Selmer USA

Bundy up to present horns.

Reply To Post

1. by agc8
      (25 posts)

6 years ago

I heard from a few "reliavle US shops" that Selmer IS now using Taiwanese parts. And they were referring to Selmer Paris...not Selmer USA (e.g. Prelude line-student). WHen I find that link again I'll post the URL... Which is why I asked "when"..

Reply To Post

1. by archcherub
        (8 posts)

6 years ago

really? i thought the europeans' pride will never allow them to outsource.

sigh at least its taiwan and not china

Reply To Post

1. by agc8
          (25 posts)

6 years ago

Since I first posted...I did find out Selmer Paris is still French it's their Selmer Prelude/Selmer Conn line that is made in the USA using some Taiwanese parts.  Which doesn't mean you won't still get good tones...it's just a psychological thing. Does knowing your horn is partially Taiwanese or 100% (P. Mauriat) sit well with the buyer? 

I figure if I'm buying a French brand it should be 100% French (made in France/100% french made parts). 

Keilwerth I believe is 100% German...wait..no...some of their SX90's are made in Czech...their MKX line is 100% German. 

Rampone & Cazzani...100% Italian parts/Made in italy. My fav brand. 

Buffet Crampon...I believe is still 100% French. Love their alto sax...the Senzo.

Reply To Post

2. by JonHuff
          (117 posts)

6 years ago

Part of the confusion is the Selmer name itself. Selmer Paris and Selmer USA (Conn-Selmer) are actually 2 completely different companies and have been for decades. It gets even more confusing because Conn-Selmer is the USA distributor for Selmer Paris. Selmer Paris horns are indeed made in France, but Selmer USA stuff is made in Taiwan.

Reply To Post

3. by agc8
          (25 posts)

6 years ago

Not sure why Selmer desided to do that. Have a French division (Selmer Paris) and a US (Conn-Slmer) deivision who's horns are made in Taiwan. :) WHy not call it "Selmer-Taiwan"? :) 

Again. whether the horn is made in Taiwan or not or uses Taiwanese parts actually isn't that big a deal. As you can still get a quality horn from Taiwan using all Taiwanese parts (e.g. P. Mauriatt...I've always liked the sound of their horns with any mouthpiece/reed used). 

It's a psychological thing. Like buying any other product. One feels better knowing (or believing) the product is made 100% in Germany. Who's to say the German's don't make mistakes? That ALL German assembly is bullet proof. Mercedes quality isn't what they were back in the 80's and before. almost all Benz owners I know have their cars in teh shop once a year for repair. :)

Reply To Post

4. by GFC
          (842 posts)

5 years ago

Selmer Paris' Super Action Series II/III and Reference horns are 100% French.  In 2014 Selmer introduced the Seles Axos line  of saxophones for the intermediate price range and those instruments are mostly Asian with just enough Frenchiness to justify the Selmer Paris brand.  But the whole Europe vs. Asia thing is overblown.  The Taiwanese have been producing high quality instruments for some years now and the QC at Selmer Paris has had its ups and downs. 

Reply To Post

5. by JonHuff
          (117 posts)

6 years ago

It’s not a division, it is literally 2 completely separate, different companies that happen to share a name. Selmer Paris was founded by Henri Selmer. Selmer USA traces its roots to his brother, Alexandre Selmer. Like I said, the shared name leads to confusion but they are 2 different companies that do not share any manufacturing facilities. 

Reply To Post

6. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

6 years ago

Here is a link that explains how Selmer USA started, and when it was sold to George Bundy as a separate company. 
           https://www.prowinds.com/category/Selmer_USA

Reply To Post