Saxophone Forum

by RobertD
(73 posts)
6 years ago

Lost Album By Jazz Great John Coltrane Released Today

I Got Mine

From the liner notes:

"There's no question. Any new music by John Coltrane now, fifty-one-plus years since his departure, merits immeditate elation. Exaltation. Especially if this discovery is well-produced studio recordinjgs shared publicly for the first time, as these are. In the same gesture, there's reason enough to hold back, to first ask the questions that must be asked. Any unreleased Coltrane music would demand it.

What kept these recordings under wraps for so long? "Lost" - whell then, how and why? "Album" - really? As in a fully conceived sequence of tracks intended for release under one title? What do they sound like and how do they fit into th Coltrane puzzle, his well-studied musical path?

With Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album, the answers lie in the context of the recording: the why, who, how, and particularly when of the session in which this music came to be. The answers also reside in the music itself - all the stand-out performances from a day when John Coltrane was the captain of his career - a star headliner helming one of the most era-defining bands on the scene."

Read more of the liner notes when you get your copy. I got mine today, thanks to my wife, who ordered it quite surreptitiously. Then it appeared at the front door.

"...well-produced studio recordinjgs"

"...stand-out performances from a day when John Coltrane was the captain of his career"

Get this: get this CD.

Lost Album By Jazz Great John Coltrane Released Today

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanneshurvell/2018/06/29/lost-album-by-jazz-great-john-coltrane-released-today/#7ec5cfef124e

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Lost Album By Jazz Great John Coltrane Released Today

Awesone Cover. It says alot in itself.

John with his bad feet, sitting,  and wearing his trademark hushpuppies.

I am his biggest fan, at least I thought I was.

I dont have mine yet!!

Thanks for this post

Reply To Post

1. by RobertD
      (73 posts)

6 years ago

You're welcome! Get a copy ASAP.

This is Coltrane at his best and, BTW, the liner notes provide excellent history on how this tape survived and how so many others were foolishly destroyed. Bob Thiele at Impulse was recording everything Coltrane did. Then:

"As for the master tapes themselves, in multiple interviews, Van Gelder described how, soon after John Coltrane died in July 1967, any and all master reels remaining in his possession were retrieved by Impulse. Not long after, the entire record company - staff, offices, materials - relocated to Los Angeles, and the master recordings ended up in a storage facility. In the early '70s, as part of a gerneral cost-cutting effort at ABC, reel after precious reel was discarded to reduce storage fees. One tape copy was retained of each existing catalogue item. Apparently, if the music had never been released out went the tape."

Heartbreaking!

Reply To Post

1. by RobertD
        (73 posts)

6 years ago

Here is a link to a review of The Lost Album with the first track, Untitled Original 11383, included for your listening pleasure:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/john-coltrane-both-directions-at-once-the-lost-album/

BTW, the excellent liner notes are written by jazz historian Ashley Kahn.

Reply To Post