Saxophone Forum

by dijayjeremy
(8 posts)
19 years ago

Jazz Riffs and tricks

Wassup yall,man my section leader was just playin straight riffs and he was not stopping either I was wondering if anyone could give me some alto sax riffs or some licks or tricks please

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sukiaaa
    (1 post)

16 years ago

Re: Jazz Riffs and tricks

Reply To Post

2. by BurnPianoIslandBurn
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

yoyo man check out the bird, charlie parker. start by gettin the omnibook and listen to night in tunisa solo break, sick stuff. *Peace

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jazzyjedi
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

Like he said, man. Just listen.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

19 years ago

There's only one faster way to improve that listening. Transcribing. Fastest way to improve flat out. I'm transcribing so Lou Donaldson right now, great stuff. Yoyo... ; )

Reply To Post

2. by patdab1423
      (1 post)

17 years ago

Reply To Post

3. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

Listen to Johnny Hodges recordings without Duke Ellington. His stuff is swinging and riff-laden. Great stuff. I think Johnny had more riffs than even bird from what I've heard.

Reply To Post

1. by saxmannwmsu
      (48 posts)

17 years ago

You can listen all day, but if you don't pay attention to what they're playing and really understand what notes are going on, you won't be able to duplicate it as quickly. Transcribing is definitely the way to go.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

17 years ago

If you can`t listen, transcriptions won`t be of much help either. Seriously, reading a transcription only works if you`ve heard the piece first. So you can read transcriptions all day, but if you don`t understand the original feeling as played by the original artist, you definitely won`t be able to duplicate it. Listening is definitely the way to go. Johnny Hodges, according to all the musicians who knew him, kept a whole encyclopedia of riffs in his head and could call them up whenever he felt like.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

17 years ago

johnny H. had the greatest tone next ot desmond, not a bad combination to go with his riffs.

Reply To Post