Saxophone Forum

by jdcrutch
(3 posts)
6 years ago

Conn Alto Worth Fixing?

Howdy.  I've been given a Conn alto sax, S/N 712149, with stars and "CONN USA" on the bell.  It's in very rough shape, and will need all the pads & corks and all the springs replaced.  Is it worth fixing?  I don't really need another horn (though it would be nice to have a working alto), but I can't bring myself to scrap it unless it's really a lost cause. 

I can probably clean it up and replace the pads and corks myself, but I don't know if I can replace the springs (they're rusted, and I don't know how to change them).  I would certainly take it to a shop for a registration (that's the term, right?), which I expect would cost about $300, and I have no idea what replacing the springs would cost.  I wouldn't bother to get it re-plated or re-lacquered, though it could use both.

Any advice?

P.S.:  The serial number list on this site suggests that my horn is a "naked lady" model from 1957-58, but it doesn't have any kind of lady on it, just stars.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Conn Alto Worth Fixing?

It is not worth fixing.

This was considered a student line horn and came out in later years.

Sell it on ebays as an As Is parts horn and get 85 bucks for it on a good day.

At 85 bucks, there will still be many many in better shape.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by jdcrutch
      (3 posts)

6 years ago

Thanks.  Any other opinions?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

6 years ago