Saxophone Forum

by kingreen
(5 posts)
6 years ago

Vintage sax

i have a artist brand a burdwise sax with a patent date of 8 dec 1914- can anyobe give me any info on value?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Vintage sax

The patent date represents a horn manufactured by C.G. Conn.

Your pic tells us nothing except that it is what is considered a stencil horn made by conn, so some other company paid conn to have the engraving "stenciled" on the bell.

Normally Conn would use the remaining inventory of  parts from their last replaced madel as parts fpr a stencil horn. The picture shows straight tone holes as opposed to the 1923 to 1948ish rolled tone holes used by Conn, so I am going to assurme your horn is a primitive horn prior to 1922 and is probably a C melody.

Value is low, below 250 bucks.

More pictures of the horn itself could tell more.

Good Luck.

Reply To Post

2. by kingreen
    (5 posts)

6 years ago

Here’s two more pictures

T
    p5993

Reply To Post

1. by kingreen
      (5 posts)

6 years ago

oh it also says Baltimore Maryland on it also 

Reply To Post

2. by kingreen
      (5 posts)

6 years ago

oh it also says Baltimore Maryland on it also 

Reply To Post

3. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

6 years ago

This is the Conn Model yours is most similar too.

https://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/specimen/1476

Yours probably does not have a front F key.

The Front F was reserved for Conn models and was a patent item till around 1926 when it started showing on competitor sax producers.

Yours is a Tenor.If the parts move freely, meaning nothing is fused and not moving, it may be worth refurbishing.

T means Tenor L mean low pitch a=440

Good Luck

Reply To Post

3. by kingreen
    (5 posts)

6 years ago

Original Quote:
    "i have a artist brand a burdwise sax with a patent date of 8 dec 1914- can anyobe give me any info on value?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

6 years ago

Production date is vaguely constrained between 1917, when Conn first started producing horns with drawn toneholes (hence the patent) and 1930, when they dropped the "P" on stencil serial numbers.  If it's around 30 inches from the bottom of the bow to the neck receiver it's a tenor.  If it's around 25 inches it's a C-melody.  Tenors are worth more than C-melocdy horns.  There's not a whole lot of value in old stencil horns in rough cosmetic condition either way.

Reply To Post