Saxophone Forum

by reedrage
(21 posts)
19 years ago

yanagisawa baritone

I am looking at a vintage Yani bari.The 3rd and 4th serial #'s are 7&5 which according to Sax and Brass Book makes it 1975.It has a low A.The lacquer is pretty well gone and it needs repadding but otherwise is O.K.I can't play it unless I travel some distance.Any info please as to desirability and price.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by reedrage
    (21 posts)

19 years ago

Re: yanagisawa baritone

Perhaps I'm in the wrong site.I notice most of the discussions are about the American big four and the Selmer Mk6.Are these what are generally considered "vintage horns"?

Reply To Post

1. by saxyjeff
      (25 posts)

19 years ago

I dont think anyone would dispute your horn as being vintage...and I've never seen one but have read positive things about the vintage horns. Perhaps you have had no responses is most likely due to the rarity of this horn. Sometimes no opinion is better than an "unexperienced" opinion...surprised none actually piped up..good luck. I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with it. I have a great Conn 12M myself. I wonder how they compare

Reply To Post

1. by reedrage
        (21 posts)

19 years ago

Jeff-Arghh-I wonder myself.It was sold before I could get to it.But there is a 1937 12m if I can get the relatives of the deceased to part with it.Needs a rebuild.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'm definately not an expert when it comes to Yanagisawa, but I have played several over the years, and they are great horns. The original Yanagisawas were basically Japanese copies of the Selmer Mark VI. I think the first Yanagisawas appeared here in the US around 1973. LeBlanc was importing them from Japan, and recently Selmer bought LeBlanc, and now they own the distributorship. I don't think the older Yanagisawas are particularly valuable. I haven't seen too many for sale, but the ones that I have seen on Ebay, etc. sold for relatively low prices. They're known for having excellent intonation, and they play very well. You just might find one at a bargain price if you shop around! The older 12M's often bring good money. It's so hard to find one in good condition that doesn't sell for an arm and a leg! I bought one on Ebay a while ago that had belonged to a school. I bought it cheap, but it needs a lot of repair; more than I had anticipated. I've started working on it, but I'm not sure if I am going to repair it, or just use it for parts. I just finished restoring a 1930 Conn New Wonder Series II (Mulligan) baritone sax. I've played it a little. I don't play baritone very often, but I have a King Zepher that I really like.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

I've restored a Yani A4 alto from 1975 and used to own a Yani bari from the early 1980's. Both were fantastic players. I miss the bari a lot, but it's in good hands and I used the dough to buy something I play a lot more often. If I look to get another bari down the road, it will either be an early Yani or a Keilwerth SX. Early Yanis are great bang for the buck - especially the stencils. I play a '77 Vito soprano made by Yani (a Mark VI copy) and it's a heavenly player as well as an affordable pro quality horn.

Reply To Post