Saxophone Forum

by Junior High Blues King
(7 posts)
19 years ago

Which type of Yamaha Tenor Sax do you recommend for Jazz players?

Please tell me which Yamaha is the best for jazz!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by butthead777
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Which type of Yamaha Tenor Sax do you recommend for Jazz players?

I recommend the Yamaha 82Z.

Reply To Post

1. by Selmer402
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

if you want the lowest end of professional horn, go for the yamaha 62-2. if you are looking for the good stuff, def go for the Custom Z, or Custom EX. they say that EX is for classical, and Z for jazz.....but, i know people who own both and both horns are great jazz horns. If i were you i would look into the yamaha unlaquered. The sound has more "soul" to it. I have a Series 2 Selmer for tenor, but the alto that im looking into now is the unlaquered Custom Z yamaha. Be careful when buying the yamaha though, make sure it is a good one. ive played average yamahas, and awesome yamahas. Just make sure you try a bunch before dropping 2500-3000 dollars. Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The YTS 62 is a great value; pro-model sax for nearly student model price. The sound is fairly neutral. They are great for jazz or classical with the right set-up. The Custom Z's are best suited for jazz. They sound awesome with an Otto Link New York mouthpiece. Lacquered or unlacquered really doesn't make that much difference. The unlacquered horns do resonate a little better. The lacquer does offer a lot of protection though and helps keep the horn looking nice. After a few years, the bare brass will start to oxidize. You have to be more careful with the bare brass that you wipe it down well after playing. Good Luck! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by TANGO SIX ONE
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

The Knights Templar state the custom Yamaha .The reason is its imported French brass.Totally unlike the 62 or any of the others .If you want a japanese instrument for jazz, the custom would be the nearest thing.(Bird lives)

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Tango ole' chap, it's good to see you back. I hope you've been enjoying your summer and playing often!

Reply To Post Yahoo!