Saxophone Forum

by yas23saxplayer
(8 posts)
19 years ago

Playing low-notes with better sound

Can someone please tell me how I can play low_notes on my Alto with better quality and sound

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Playing low-notes with better sound

First, make sure you've got no pad leaks and the action is rock solid. Second, make sure you're reed isn't too weak. You want a higher resistance threshold for low notes to come out sounding other than "BRAAAAAP!!!!!!!!!!" Third, with the aid of a pro teacher/player, make sure you're taking in enough mouthpiece. Too little mouthpiece in your mouth, and you might not be letting enough of the reed vibrate for the low notes to speak clearly.

Reply To Post

1. by metallicaorion83
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

just an idea... if your playing a low b then leave up the f key and right when you tounge push it down. it makes it alot easyer to start on low notes. just if ya wanted to know

Reply To Post

2. by saxophonist_104
      (148 posts)

16 years ago

...and don't be afraid to put air through the sax.

Reply To Post

2. by Mliles329
    (1 post)

16 years ago

Also, what my lesson teacher tells me all the time (because I sometimes have trouble getting low notes out) is to keep your oral cavity open. Imagine when you try to fog up a window with your breath or when you yawn, you want that same feeling in your throat when you play those notes.

Reply To Post