Saxophone Forum

by Aesop89
(12 posts)
19 years ago

Ebay Horns

I am a highschool alto sax player and have always wanted a soprano to just noodle around on. Being 16 I obviously want something with a less than hefty price tag. What Ebay horns have you guys had good/bad experiences on? I was looking at a Cecilio sax, anyone know anything about them? Thanks in advance for any info you can input. ~Aesop

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxophones_rock
    (13 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Ebay Horns

I bought an antiqua off of ebay not too long ago, and it turned out to be pretty good. Although it was damaged minorly in the mail.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've never heard of Cecilio, but I would be leary of anything under $400. The Winston 350 GL's are about the cheapest soprano I would recommend. They're not too bad. The Antiqua Winds, Kessler Custom and LA Sax sopranos are better. They sell for around $800.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Aesop89
      (12 posts)

19 years ago

Thx for the input, I've decided to get a Kessler Custom "Saxello" type soprano in the Black Nickle. I didn't realize what awesome saxes they had.

Reply To Post

1. by Tully
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

For what it's worth, Dave Kessler himself says that unless you're bent on having a saxello-style horn, you'd be better off with an Antigua.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Aesop89
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

I'm not so much bent on having a saxello as I am on not paying more than 800, this is a b-day present from my parents. Its not like I will play this professionally or anything anyways, I dont even know that I will play it in an ensemble at school.

Reply To Post

2. by Aesop89
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

I'm not so much bent on having a saxello as I am on not paying more than 800, this is a b-day present from my parents. Its not like I will play this professionally or anything anyways, I dont even know that I will play it in an ensemble at school.

Reply To Post

3. by Aesop89
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

4. by Aesop89
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

eep, sorry about the numerous posts, malfunction.

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The Kessler custom Saxello style sopranos are great horns. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

the only problem with saxello's are finding a stand, if you need one, for it to fit on.

Reply To Post

7. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

19 years ago

sorry, bad grammar, IS finding a stand

Reply To Post

8. by Aesop89
          (12 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, I was thinking about that, I dont really have any options for a stand with a saxello, and I havent seen a case for one (besides the one it comes with). Any ideas?

Reply To Post

9. by Tully
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

Well, not to state the obvious, but...don't get a saxello-style horn. Compared to Kessler's black nickel saxello, a gold-lacquered Kessler curved soprano is the same price, and an Antigua 586LQ (a straight horn, and also gold lacquer) is only $30 more. Here's the link to all the sopranos they sell: www.kesslermusic.com/html/sax/soprano.html

Reply To Post AIM