Saxophone Forum

by Gooshbanshee
(24 posts)
19 years ago

The best TENOR saxophone mouthpiece for classicle playing

I was looking for a reallly reallly good mouthpiece for classical playing.my current set up is a selmer C* with a Vandoren optimum v5 metal lig. I'll deffinently keep the lig. but I rle want a better mouthpiece. Thnkx, Gooshbanshee

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by phathorn
    (165 posts)

19 years ago

Re: The best TENOR saxophone mouthpiece for classicle playing

I've always preferred the Vandoren pieces to the Selmers on tenor...the selmers tend to be a bit stuffy.

Reply To Post

2. by stephangus
    (11 posts)

19 years ago

i'd not recommend an LT. stuffy and tricky- mid d and lower f-d have to be really landed or they'll jump the tracks (keeps you focused, i'll give it that). thanks for the q. i'll be watching the thread. been out of the loopiness for over a decade and a half. just got my last remaining horn overhauled- a martin imperial, of all things. bit of a clunkmeister, but it has a good heart and it's probably tuned better now than it ever was. bought it for rock n' roll right after i switched majors (away from performance), and then quickly replaced it with a balanced action (trading in my last alto, a super action 80), tossing the martin in a closet. years later, i sold the selmer to pay for a trip to geneva, and then my love, a conn naked lady bari, was stolen in chicago. but wait- what's in that smelly case there in my sister's barn? so i'm blowin' again. not chunks, i'm pleasantly surprised to report- body memory is an amazing thing. lucky gift, i also held onto a blue #7 jumbo java (lovely), a late '50's dukoff (iffy), and the LT. yes the LT. most of my classical hours were on alto, of course, and i remember c*'s and c**'s and LT's. i studied years with two students of larry teal, so i'm sure at the time of purchase there was probably a wee bit of loyalty bias (mind memory: not so amazing). any way, i'm curious, too. -s

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

While I've found no greater legit happiness on alto than my scroll LT, I'm not a fan of them on tenor - a bit brighter than I think they should be. My tenor legit bliss has been found using a vintage Selmer Airflow table C* - similar to the LT with the round chamber, but concave sidewalls, and a lower baffle from what I can tell. I use it with a Brancher lig (the gold one) and a Fibracell MH. This setup probably sounds dreadful to any jazz players reading this, but it tones down my NiAg SX90R beautifully. I've been able to rework S80 C*'s to become very nice players, but they're not very good fresh from the factory.

Reply To Post

1. by Bibimbop
        (53 posts)

19 years ago

I've found the Selmer S90 190 or 200 are good classical tenor pieces. I've also heard alot of classic tenor playing on Rousseau tenor mouthpieces. The old model...definitly not the New Classic model. Never tried the Vandorens on tenor...but I've been curious

Reply To Post

2. by swimgurl1019
      (7 posts)

19 years ago

i use a jewel concert series mouthpiece. it didnt cost a lot, but it works really well with my instrument

Reply To Post

1. by Tully
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

Check out Caravan, Rascher, Morgan 3C, and Morgan 5L.

Reply To Post AIM