Saxophone Forum

by Backinthesaxxleagain
(15 posts)
19 years ago

Vintage verses New.

Like a kid with a quarter in his pocket that he can't wait to spend, I have that same compulsion for buying a new sax. It could be a soprano, tenor, or alto I just want the best horn for the money. Best for me means most collectable best instument best quality, best looking, just like a fine woman. I was looking at some of the fine vintage instruments on the saxquest web site and wondered what some of the top players would get of those classic saxes or would they opt for say a yss62 yamaha or some other new instrument. What would you do go new or buy a vintage Conn, or the Chu Berry, or perhaps one of the other many fine instruments posted there. So the question is if you had an extra 2000-2500 which sax would you buy? Thanks for the responses

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Vintage verses New.

Here's a few suggestions: I prefer a more modern soprano saxophone with modern keywork, detachable necks, and better intonation. I have a vintage 1925 Conn New Wonder Series II soprano. It sounds good, and plays very well for an old horn, but it doesn't compare to my Keilwerth which has better intonation and plays so much easier. If you really want a soprano, I would recommend a newer Yanagisawa, Yamaha, Keilwerth, or Antigua Winds for the money. One of the nicest alto saxophones I have ever played is the Conn 6M! I play a 1950 6M with an Otto Link Tone Edge hard rubber mouthpiece, and the sound is amazing! You should be able to find a really nice 6M for around $1000. Another vintage favorite is the King Super 20 Silversonic. Your Buescher Aristocrat is also a great vintage sax. Of the newer altos, I really like the Yamaha YAS 62 series II and the Cannonball. I love my Conn 10M tenor, and nothing sounds like a 10M! They just sound so big and bold. I play a lot of blues, some jazz, classic rock and funk, and the Conn just has the sound! I also play a King Super 20, a Buescher 400 Top Hat & Cane, and a Selmer Mark VI. They each have their own sound. The Bueschers are a great buy. Of the newer tenors, I really like the Keilwerth SX-90; especially the SX-90R with the tone rings that simulate the rolled tone holes like the vintage Conns. I also like the Cannonball tenors, and the Yamaha YTS 62.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Lotus54
    (32 posts)

19 years ago

For $2500 you are quite limited in buying new. A couple of years ago I bought a new Selmer Reference 36- then sold my 106xxx Selmer Mk VI. I really liked the Mk VI and had it many, many years but the ref 36 sounded better, played better and was more in tune. I was looking for a bit rounder sound and the 36 has it. If I was playing in a really loud band or rock band or something, I would have kept the VI. It had a bit brighter sound and would cut a little better. I play sort of loud anyway, so I generally don't have problems being heard and avoid microphones. My favorite alto is a Super Balanced Action Selmer (I paid $150 in '68). Wonderful sound and great action. I've played a number of Conns, they have a good sound but I don't really like playing them that much. I don't like the key layout or action. Of course, I'm pretty used to Selmers so certainly take that into account.

Reply To Post

3. by Saxon
    (100 posts)

19 years ago

For collectability and cost efectiveness, try a C melody!

Reply To Post