Saxophone Forum

by SAXKID05
(6 posts)
19 years ago

A Little help on rubber jazz mouthpieces

Hi I am going into 9th grade and i am wondering about a hard rubber mouthpiece. I play a selmer series III. I am looking for something for jazz band that I can solo on but still blend in. I want a more edgey tone but not too edgy. Cost is not much of an issue for me since my parents are both instrumental musicteachers and understand I need a good mouthpiece. Thanku in advance for your help

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SAXKID05
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

Re: A Little help on rubber jazz mouthpieces

Also I forgot to mention that Its for an alto sax

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

My first thought is a Selmer Metal Jazz in a D facing - I used to play a Series III and thought the SMJ was a great match for the horn. Since you're looking for a hard rubber piece, you could try Vandoren Java or Jumbo Java in an A45 or A55 facing depending on how open a piece you play currently. The Jumbos have LOTS of projection yet still retain a nice core sound down low.

Reply To Post

1. by SAXKID05
        (6 posts)

19 years ago

thanx a lot and what about the phil barrone? Also I have been told to stay away from selmer mouthpieces at all costs

Reply To Post

1. by sax kid
          (19 posts)

19 years ago

another good jazz mouth piece is a bari, but it has a 6 opening so it playes LOUD but destryes ur tone.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

saxkid05 - selmer probably makes the highest quality mouthpieces today - it would be a close battle at least between selmer and morgan. all of the other mass produced mouthpieces loose quality - crooked facings - wrong facings - poor vulcanization and regular saxkid - 6 means absolutely nothing. There is more than one facing and more than one Bari brand mouthpiece - there are at least 5 models that I can think of right now. everybody's 6 means something else - otto link's 6 is fairly big - .085 but lawtons 6 is .070 on alto

Reply To Post

3. by kennyj
          (24 posts)

19 years ago

You will find lots of options and opinions here. So, hopefully you can sort it all out, and come up with an adequate solution, or -- a superb solution to your search. First point -- congratulations on already possessing one of the finest instruments available! You are quite blessed already! Most entering the high school world are fumbling around with Bundy or other not-so high end instruments. Now my major point - At your age, I would assume that you have not developed physically (embouchure, finger strength and speed, technique, etc...) to make any lifetime choices (except for the horn!) right now. But you will be on the pathway to musical maturity. Look forward to many new choices, as you progress. I tend to suggest a Meyer (or Meyer-clone) to my early high school students. For you, a Meyer 5M would be a good starting point. Meyer brand itself has several choices here, a standard Meyer, the newer G model, and the Richie Cole model. I would guess you would enjoy the tonal qualities of the G or Richie Cole model. On the Meyer-clone types, the BARI brand makes some fine mouthpieces, their own Richie Cole model, once again, start with the 5 facing, and they also make a fine sounding, well-balanced mouthpiece they market as the Mike Smith model. The Mike Smith is only available in a 5** facing. What do these facings mean? The Meyer model 5 facing is a .71 opening BARI brand 5 facings are around a .72 opening the Smith 5** is about .74, with a longer curve opening. So, they are all pretty close, with the least lip pressure needed on the smaller openings, of course. The other choice I give, is the Morgan. Morgans are pretty much a --perfect-- Meyer. They do cost quite a bit more, but the consistency of quality is outstanding. Sometimes the standard Meyer and BARI mouthpieces suffer from mass-produced ills and woes inherent in the amount of product they must manufacture. All that aside, I consistently use on Alto, both a Morgan Excaliber, and a Meyer New York, depending on the venue, and style of music. Both are wonderful performing mouthpieces. Keep us informed of your progress!!! ii-V-I kenny j
          kennyj

Reply To Post

4. by SAXKID05
          (6 posts)

18 years ago

Thanx i have tried the meyer 5m and it backed up on me and i could not play as loud as i usually do (not to sound like i play with an ugly tone). I purchased an otto link tone edge 6. It plays well and it gives me more freedom as far as an edgery tone than my experience with meyer. I am happy with it and my setup is almost how i want it. I am also about to purchase a rovner eddie danials lig and am quite sure it will also improve my jazz sound over my rovner dark lig that i use for classical. As far as my sax goes i realize i am lucky that i have the sax that i do.. I actually got it in 5th grade lucky me! I would also like to add that i don't have rich parents and im not spoiled. As I said before my parents are both music teachers, both of my uncles are pro musicians and my cousin just got signed to sony records for his band (he plays bass) so I come from a musical family. the only downside was in 5th grade when everyone wanted me to play I had to practice lol Thanx again for all the help --------Mark

Reply To Post

2. by rednecksax
        (24 posts)

18 years ago

Where is the best place to buy a morgan excalibur? Preferably without a 2-3 week wait.

Reply To Post

1. by kennyj
          (24 posts)

18 years ago

Be patient, it is worth the wait....... Just order, and pray............... ii-V-I kenny j
          kennyj

Reply To Post