Saxophone Forum

by sidewinder7k7
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Choosing the right MPC (with the right measurements)

I've been playing tenor sax for 2 years on some pretty crappy rentals, but recently I bought a YTS-62 that I am very happy with. The problem is it comes with a Yamaha 4c mouthpiece that is really closed ( I think), and I'm not exactly happy with the sound I'm getting either. I'm looking for something that's warm, doesn't sound too bright and doesn't have too much buzz, but is still acceptable for jazz. I have been reading a lot about mouthpieces, but I have no real practical experience with picking them. I am especially confused with how large or small a tip opening to get, I have a moderately strong eumbrochre from doubling on bassoon (if that is even relevant). Anyone have suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Choosing the right MPC (with the right measurements)

find a place where they will let you try many before you buy them, otherewise you or your parents will be broke soon cause they can get just a little costly, you will just need to supply or buy the reeds. it might be good to try different reeds also. if you want to read about it buy " The Saxophone is my voice" by Ernest Ferron, he give detail on different mpc's and the affect they have on sound.

Reply To Post

1. by syrasax
      (75 posts)

19 years ago

I too recently took ownership of a 62 with your concerns regarding sound. A teacher friend recommended a Meyer 5M which I purchased and have been very happy with. I experiment a little with reeds (V16, Java, ZZ, Rico Jazz) and have settled on the Fibracell for now. You also might be interested in this . . . www.cybersax.com/QA/Q&A_MouthpieceBasics.html

Reply To Post

2. by Conn-man
    (11 posts)

19 years ago

Without going into a long and detailed discussion on mouthpiece selection, it sounds like you are looking for a rubber, low baffle, medium chamber mouthpiece. The Meyer or an Otto Link would fit that description. As for tip opening, that depends on the strength of reed you are using, as well as your embouchure, your style of play and how much air you're moving through the horn. If you're used to blowing through that double reed bassoon, you' ll probably feel more comfortable with a narrower tip opening (5-6) than a wider one (7-9). This is kind of general advice, but it might help you narrow the search down a bit!

Reply To Post