Saxophone Forum

by F35H
(16 posts)
5 years ago

Tonal Issue

I have a small issue with which I need to make a decision. Currently, my saxophone plays a semitone down from the ideal tone. It was lower, but a quick buff of the reed brought it up to this point. My reed is a size four, which is why it isn't very much so an option to go any higher. I have tested it on another saxophone only to have it come to the same result, essentially stating it's probably the mouthpiece. The mouthpiece has been pushed beyond the cork to no avail. Here's my question: Should I opt for a new mouthpiece, or should I opt for a longer cork? If you have a third alternative, however, I would always enjoy a hearing.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Tonal Issue

What saxophone are you playing (alto or tenor and what brand)? What mouthpiece are you using? Do other accomplished players have the same issue on your saxophone using their equipment? Has your saxophone recently been through the shop to ensure it is in perfect working order? Is it consistently low in pitch throughout all registers or does it go more out of tune in the upper, lower or middle registers?  If you can answer these quesitons I may have a better shot at assessing your situation. 

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com 

Reply To Post

1. by F35H
      (16 posts)

5 years ago

My apologies for being under descriptive.
      There is no change across the entire horn. Every single note is exactly a semitone lower.
      I have not had the chance to ask other musicians 
      Neither of the horns has been to the shop in the last year

My equipment is as follows:

Reeds: Rigotti Gold 4 Medium 
      Mouthpiece: Selmer C*80
      Sax 1: Yamaha Alto Sax EXC [YAS-875EX]
      Sax 2: Jupiter Alto Sax [Jas-667]

Edit: I just retried it. The notes are now only a 1/4th of a semitone down. Clearly, it was the new reeds. If you want you can delete this. I don't want any wondering eyes to waste their time. I'm really sorry if I wasted yours. Thank you for hosting such a great site, keep up the good work.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

5 years ago

Not a waste of time at all. Both of your saxophones are excellent instruments, especially the Yamaha Custom. The mouthpiece is also a great choice. You may want to try dropping down a strength in reeds and see if that helps. #4 reeds are pretty hard, even for many professional players. Best of Luck!!

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post