Saxophone Forum

by mattdude
(74 posts)
19 years ago

tips for maintaining an unlacquered horn.

recently i've found spit splatter marks on the top of my bell (custom 82z unlacquered tenor) that have pitted the metal. silly ol' me didn't realize spit would do that. so, to take preventative measures against any other damage and just general maintenance of the horn, i'd like to learn some about maintaining one. specifically unlacquered, because they take more care than lacquered horns to keep them shiney and in good condition. what should be the daily/weekly/monthly/annually procedures to keep the horn in good condition? what kits should i buy that would do me well. do you recommend pad savers? thanks for any info you unlacquered players can give me.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by EL Seano
    (255 posts)

19 years ago

Re: tips for maintaining an unlacquered horn.

I can't give you advanced advice but Yamaha recommends that you should at least wipe them clean after every gig/practise in order to prevent the deteriation you previously mentioned.

Reply To Post

1. by mattdude
      (74 posts)

19 years ago

that's what i've started doing, wiping down where i see spit marks. i don't have a the time to do a thorough cleaning every time i use it because once school starts i'll have to get to the bus because jazzband is the last mod of the day. i can take it to and from school every day and clean it at home, but that bus can be treachorous with all those little brats. iunno what i'm going to do, hopefully i'll be able to find a ride from people to make my life that much easier. anywho.. to stay on topic, i also just bought an otto link 7 metal. gold plated and such.. what would be a good idea to keep this in good condition too, seeing as how i doubt spit can be very good for it sitting there every time i play.. should i get a peice saver or something to quickly wipe it through every time i play? thanks for any help.

Reply To Post

1. by mattdude
        (74 posts)

19 years ago

anybody? :(

Reply To Post

1. by mufasa
          (9 posts)

18 years ago

Try steel wool every now and then. If you like the dull luster this will have the oppostie effect, i.e. it will shine it up, but it will get through spit marks. Over many many years, steel wooling actually thins the brass, but if you do it sparingly over time it should be fine.

Reply To Post

2. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

18 years ago

Steel wool will take the gold plating off of your Link in a hurry. I just wipe mine down with a damp paper towel.

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Be sure to follow the damp paper towel with a dry paper towel, or the moisture might cause its own damage.

Reply To Post

4. by budding_saxman
          (7 posts)

18 years ago

gold doesn't rust, so don't worry about a little water left on a gold mouthpiece. now, you might get a little build up of crud from dried up spit if you leave saliva on gold, but you can just wipe it off (and not worry about any H2O left on the gold metal)

Reply To Post