Saxophone Forum

by Traned
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Help To ID Conn Tenor

My son has switched to Tenor this year from clarinet. We are looking at a Conn that is 25-30 years old but I am having trouble identifying the model and year. Where sould I look?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Help To ID Conn Tenor

Most likely it's a 16M Directors model if it's that new. I don't believe any 10M's were made after 1969. The 10M was the pro model. The 16M is a student-intermediate model. Most will have the shooting stars and bow engraving on the bell. The earlier models (pre 1970, serial prefix "N") were pretty good horns. The later horns that were built in Mexico do not hold together as well. The keys were softer and break easier, and they don't stay adjusted. You can find a Conn serial number list at www.drrick.com Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Traned
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the response. You're correct, it is a 16M Director's. Serial 682158 which by the site you suggested puts it at 1957. It does state USA under the Conn logo between the star burst and the bow tie. I don't see a prefix of "N" however. Does it make sense that is from 1957?

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

19 years ago

1957 is correct. They did not use the letter prefix until 1963. You have the better version of the 16m Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Traned
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks, Dave. You've been a great help!

Reply To Post