Saxophone Forum

by zt313
(1 post)
5 years ago

Trouble with Tone? (Trying to get a darker sound)

So, my issue is that I've been told I have a "way to bright tone" for concert band, keep in mind I'm in both jazz band and concert band. I've been told by my director and at festivals that I have an awfully bright tone. Also, I've additionally been told that it sounds good for jazz, but not exactly for concert. So my question is: how do I get a darker tone? 

I play on a Cannonball Stone Series (Raven) with the traditional neck. For my mouthpiece, I play on the Vandoren TL3 Optimum, along with the Optimum ligature. Lastly, I play on the Traditional Vandoren reeds (3 1/2). 

Any and all help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Trouble with Tone? (Trying to get a darker sound)

It sounds like you should try 2 things:
    1.  Softer reeds
    2.  A mouthpiece with a large chamber and a rollover baffle.  It can sometimes be difficult to really figure out the chamber size on a mouthpiece, so do your research and ask questions. In hard rubber mouthpieces you might check out a large chamber Morgan Jazz or an old Otto Link  .  In metal there are some large chamber Vandoren T16 pieces. 
    Above all else, try before you buy.  You should consider calling someone like Saxquest or Junkdude.com and discuss with them. 

Reply To Post