Saxophone Forum

by vipegrad
(47 posts)
19 years ago

Conn or King stencil?

I recently bruoght my 1911 "Holton" soprano to a music store. They confirmed it is from 1911 but told me it was a stencil, this sprised me a bit. The sax is not a Holton because Holton was not producing woodwinds in 1911 but was more likely a Conn or King stencil. I am not sure which it is, but they said most likely a King. Is there a way to know for certain? Also i would be interested to know the value of the sax. The store from which I am enting the sax is charging roughly $1200 for it. It has been repadded and relaquered. The keywork is good and vey fast. The sax is also the lightest sax I have ever held. The tone is good with a few flaws, which are due to me being somewhat new on soprano. So does anyone know if it is worth the money for this sax, as i have yet to find a sax that feels right in my hands besides this one? Thanks for your help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn or King stencil?

Check the writing on your bell- does it say Elkhorn, Wisconsin? (mine does) This puts the date of manufacture at 1918 or later, at which time Holton was indeed making saxes. If it was from 1911, it would read Frank Holton, Chicago. Methinks somebody's serial number chart is off. Check this site out: www.wisconsinhistory.org/turningpoints/search.asp?id=1211 As to value, if you're looking for a money making investment, forget it. If, on the other hand, you're looking for a good horn to play and this one feels right, it's a whole different story!

Reply To Post

1. by vipegrad
      (47 posts)

19 years ago

The bell does in fact say Elkhorn, Wisconsin. The serial number is 15383. I do not know what the shop used as reference for a serial number chart, but the Holton serial nuber chart places the sax in 1911. I have yet to find a Holton sax serial number chart. The horn lacks the odd keywork which is often associated with Holton saxophones. Thank you again.

Reply To Post

1. by vipegrad
        (47 posts)

19 years ago

I have also found several sites which list the serial numbers as sax serial numbers. I do not know if these are accurate or if they corospond to stencils or not. Some sites are www.dancipsax.com/iserialholtonsax.html and www.mouthpieceheaven.com/content/holton.htm as well as drrick.com/holton.html . I do not know if these are accurate. I m still trying to learn more about Holton. I would like to find out about any stencils made for Holton if anyone has info. Thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Here are a few pics of holtons www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/holton Dave

Reply To Post