Saxophone Forum

by dfinley
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Just received a Weltklang

My daughter just joined the sixth grade band. Music instruments are pretty steep when you're unsure your child will stick with the instrument. So her granfather gave her his tenor sax. It's a Weltklang he purchased used over 20 years ago. He would be very disappointed if anything ever happened to that sax so we purchased a Conn Shooting Stars Tenor Sax off e-bay for $300. We figure it would reduce the chance of anything happening to it if our daughter kept the Conn at school and used the Weltklang for concerts and practicing at home. I played alto sax when I was a kid but it was mostly to get out of choir. I can't sing worth a lick. Therefore, my knowledge of musical instruments is very limited. What can you tell me about these two brands? And is there a good, economical mouthpiece you could recommend? Call me crazy but I have this thing about my daughter putting her mouth where some strangers mouth has been. Thank you, I'd appreciate any help you can give me on this matter.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Just received a Weltklang

Doesn't she ever eat at a restaurant? Seriously, my daughter had a similar dilemma. She plays as an alternate for the Jazz band, on bari sax. She wanted to buy her own mouthpiece but found the cost out of her range. She sterilized it instead and made do. I do caution you, however, about just ordering a mouthpiece off the internet. Some work better with particular horns. It would be best to go to a music store and try some out (if possible). The insides of the mouthpieces can be different sizes, which would make the horn more difficult to play in tune if different than what the horn was designed for.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Sterilize the mouthpiece.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Just soak the mouthpiece in some hot water with a little bleach and it will be fine. I'm not too familiar with Weltklang. I've heard they are very good instruments, and that they are very similar to the older Keilwerth horns, but I have never played one. I am quite familiar with the Conn Directors models with the shooting stars, however. If you give me the serial number, I can tell you when the horn was made. The earlier Directors models are the best; those made from 1955-1968. Those made after 1981 are also pretty good. As long as the sax is in good condition, $300 sounds like a pretty good deal. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by dfinley
        (2 posts)

19 years ago

From the pictures this sax looks to be in very good shape. Not body damage at all and only a two or three scratches on the back of the instrument where your right thumb goes. It looks well taken care of. But sometimes looks and playing ability can be two different things. I hope to receive it in a week. I will get you the serial number then. The gentleman selling it wasn't able to give me any information on it. He bought it off e-bay for his son thinking it was an alto sax. When his son didn't want to switch to tenor he decided to sell it. But my first sax was a Conn and I had no problems with it, so I bought this one. I'm hopeful but until it gets here I'll probably be a bit leary. Thank you for your response. If you hear anything about the Weltklang let me know. By the way, I'll try the bleach and hot water. Thanks again.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonik
          (73 posts)

19 years ago

Just a touch off topic, but isn't it NOT a good thing for a beginner to keep switching back and forth between different horns? Doesn't that make it a little harder to learn proper embochure control and such? I mean, some horns may respond completely differently than others. If I'm completely wrong about this, please, someone correct me... thnx If you get the Conn, I'd have your daughter take it home to practice on as well as to school to play.

Reply To Post

2. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

I borrowed my friends weltklang alto for a few days. I wasnt impressed, the tuning was bad, the tone was weird, low notes thin, no high f# key (boo hoo), and yeah im gonna go try it again to see what else is wrong with it.

Reply To Post

2. by Blue_bari
        (1 post)

6 years ago

Well I'm only a sophomore in highschool but conn-selmer is a really good begging instrument and weltklang is a really good brand but I recommend she uses the Conn tenor until she becomes more advanced with her music career 

Reply To Post